Need help with electric motor. 6v I guess?

Old 05-20-13, 12:50 PM
Need help with electric motor. 6v I guess?

I am building a project and all I need to finish is to find out which kind of motor to buy. I need one to simply go forward 3-4 feet, and then it should go in reverse 3-4 feet. A good example would be opening the door on a grill, up and back down. The weight is minimal, since it is plastic. I am extremely new at this, so any help would be very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-13, 01:42 PM
You would need a 6v DC servo motor about $100 and some type of limit switches and three way switch for back and forth.

Old 05-20-13, 04:44 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Linear actuators. They mostly are available for 12 vdc operation. They have two connection wires. When you connect them in one direction....the actuator extends. When you reverse the wires....the actuator retracts.

In the link below is a varied assortment that you can find on ebay. Some new and some used. The number they give you is how far the actuator will extend.

linear actuator | eBay

Old 05-21-13, 07:33 AM
Thanks a lot guys. If you could imagine, think of a bar b q grill lid lifting up and holding there for a certain time and then back down. Is that still the same answers you gave me earlier. The weight would be not that of a grill but much much lighter. Thanks again for your answers

Old 05-21-13, 07:52 AM
Group Moderator
Yes....same answer. You should be able to see applications on you tube.