Question about GCFI Breaker

Old 05-21-13, 09:17 AM
Question about GCFI Breaker

I have a 20 AMP GCFI breaker that is supplying power to a control box that powers a pool pump. Although not ideal, in the past the 20 AMP has worked for the pool equipment. Currently, the control box lights connected to the GFCI lights up but does not power the pool pump. I don't know much about this, but is "power, Power" In other words, can I assume that I am getting power correctly from the GFCI box as long as I'm seeing power lights come on at the control box, or can a GFCI provide enough power to a control box to "light it up" but at the same time due to possibly being faulty or not wired properly not supply enough amperage to power the equipment?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-13, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I think you are asking could the GFI supply partial power.
Usually no....they supply full power or nothing.

You're also asking about a wiring issue. Has this been working in the past or is this a new install. If it had been working I don't see a wiring problem.

This is a good time to have a voltmeter and check the circuit directly.

Old 05-21-13, 09:40 AM
Welcome to the forums!

can a GFCI provide enough power to a control box to "light it up" but at the same time due to possibly being faulty or not wired properly not supply enough amperage to power the equipment?
Sure, but any circuit can, at any time, lose voltage, for a variety of reasons.

First, test the GFCI breaker. If it opens and resets correctly, it is probably in good condition.

Check the connections where the neutral from the breaker connects to the house neutral and where the neutral for the pump connects to the breaker.

If all of that is OK, turn the circuit off and remove the load wire from the breaker. Turn the power back on and use an analog multimeter to test for 120V from the load terminal on the breaker to neutral and ground.

Let us know what you find.

Old 05-21-13, 10:03 AM
I will try that and report back. Thank you!