switch installed on an electrical cord

Old 02-10-01, 12:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

When I removed the old switch from the cord, I noticed that one side was cut. I installed the new one without cutting one of the sides. Is one side supposed to be intentionally cut? The light will light up but the switch doesn't work. It's one of those dial switches that has the little teeth that pierce the cord. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-01, 05:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In order for any switch to work, one side of the has be able to connect and disconnect. One side of the line is always connected, the other side is connected or disconencted via the switch, the switch sits in the middle of the cut line, and connect then together or disconnects them. The little teeth in the switch as you refer to punches thru the insulation of the wire to make contact with the wire within. So the two sides of the cut wire sit in the switch in such a way that don't actually touch but the 2 teeth/pins of the switch punch thru to make connect with the wire, 1 tooth/pin into each side of the cut wire.

Old 02-10-01, 06:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Q: Is one side supposed to be intentionally cut?
A: Yes.

dkerr gave you a more complete answer, but just in case you missed the answer to your question, I supplied it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: