Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Converting Existing Wiring to Outlet for Over the Range Microwave

Old 05-23-13, 11:08 AM

Hi all,

I am a complete novice at this and I have no intention of performing this task myself. I am, however, interested in purchasing as many of the required parts for a handyman. I have a hood over my range. The hood is on a dedicated circuit (my condo unit was built to be upgrade ready). I was told that the wiring for the hood would need to be converted to an electrical outlet. I am trying to get an idea of the basic parts I will need to purchase in order to make this happen. I do already have the microwave and a mounting cabinet for installation. Can anyone tell me what else I can buy now or will these items have to wait for someone to come take a look at my specific space?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-13, 12:46 PM
Group Moderator
When I was a handyman I always discouraged customers from buying the parts because they often bought the wrong thing. In one case the customer actually tried to buy the right thing and the salesman at sears hardware talked them into buying the wrong thing. We are talking less then $10. I'd be suspicious of any handyman that didn't wan to supply his own parts.

The bigger issue since this is a condo does your local authority allow work by someone not licensed.

If this was a house not a condo I would tell you to get a receptacle and an an old work box and do it yourself.