Best possible way to run cables? (ceiling joist)

Old 05-26-13, 07:04 AM
Best possible way to run cables? (ceiling joist)

I am trying to run 4 HDMI cables, 1 RG6 cable, 1 optical cable, and 1 ethernet cable.

What is the best way to run the cables? Drilling the joists vertically? If you see my gas line to the fireplace, I need to run the cables from the other side of the stud all the way to the ceiling and back down again to the fireplace as that is where I will have my TV mounted.

Help and any answers welcome, thanks!

Name:  20130202_152349 - Copy.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  49.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-13, 07:33 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% following why you need to run to the ceiling. Why not just drill horizontally through the studs from point A to B?

Old 05-26-13, 09:06 AM
Group Moderator
Or even go to the basement. You'll need to keep the optical and the HDMI cables as short as possible.

Old 05-26-13, 09:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
To add to the others' posts, wherever point a and point b are, run 2" pvc conduit with sweeps. That way you can add or subtract or replace at will. Just remember technology is faster than you are. RG6 was the standard cable hook up. Then overnight we got HDMI and Fiber optic. To upgrade after the sheetrock is up, use conduit.
I think answering your question, though, no you won't drill vertically through the beam. Yes you can run it up the wall and drill through the plate vertically.

Old 05-26-13, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the replies!

- I need to rerun the cable feed from the cable company to that location. The existing line is about 4ft away from the location that I want. (where the gas line is located) That is where all of my receivers will be located.
- The HDMI cables are for a game console, ARC receiver, cable/satellite receiver/DVR, and BLURay player.
- Optical cable may not be needed.
- I may need to rethink about the cable feed, just drilling through the studs instead. I didn't want to break the drywall. That's why I wanted to drill vertically. One step I forgot to note was the joists when the house was being built.

Old 05-26-13, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
So the picture is not as is? It is a finished wall now?

Old 05-26-13, 10:25 AM
Is the sheetrock already installed?? Don't understand
break the drywall

Old 05-26-13, 10:27 AM
Correct. That is an old picture taken when they were building. The wall is up...

Old 05-26-13, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Since your in TX I will assume you have no basement. In that case your best option would be to open the wall. Perhaps on the back side to make the repair less noticeable to the "general public".

I would follow Chandlers advice about installing a conduit (rigid of flexible such as ENT) so that as technology changes, you can just pull out the old cable and install a new one. That way you only have to do this once.

Old 05-26-13, 10:36 AM
OK, playing field changed. We're looking at simple solutions and you have a complex situation that you didn't tell us about.

Your fireplace chase is hollow. Locate a place under it from the basement/crawl and drill a 1" or so hole in the floor. From your periphery location open a hole in the sheetrock enough to house your junction box and fish the wire up. It isn't fun, but beats trying to do it with sheetrock on the walls. Seal the hole in the floor with Fire Barrier.

Why is gas run from overhead? Do you not have a basement/crawl?

Edit: I realized as I hit post reply you are in Texas and probably have no crawl/basement.

Old 05-26-13, 05:50 PM
You haven't answered the question yet, but combining the fact that you're in TX with the different appearance of the lumber used for the sill plates, I'm going to assume that your house is built on a slab and that you have no accessible working space underneath it.

That said, it appears that you only need to drill one hole, through one king stud, to create a passage from the stud bay where the gas pipe ends into the fireplace surround. You should be able to do that through the openings where your cable feed comes out now, or the openings you'll need to make to start the cables in.

You're planning to mount the TV over the fireplace, right? How are you planning to pick up the cables inside the fireplace surround? By fishing for them through the hole in the drywall you'll need to make to install the backing for the mounting plate for the TV?

How are you planning to get power to that area?

The main challenges I see are fire sealing the penetration(s) and protecting the power and data cables from heat damage.