Need help wiring in a home alarm LIGHT SWITCH.

Old 05-29-13, 10:17 AM
I removed ALL BULBS.
Glad you thought of that. Stupid me, I forgot that you would read continuity through any installed bulb.

Red fleck wire continuous to all tabs, not continuous to any shells. Plain white wire continuous to all shells and not to any tabs.
Yep, that confirms it. The all-white wire gets spliced to the other two white wires and the red fleck wire gets spliced to the red wire. Then test it.

Pendant fixtures??????? Maybe THAT is what this is .. and not a chandelier!!!!!
IDK, you're the one who called it a chandelier. Post a picture of it after you get it finished, if you want to.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-13, 10:24 AM
OK .. from reply #31 and this fixture wire identification, .. I am going to TRY to start assembling everything.

Name:  IMG_20130529_103826.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  18.9 KB

Old 05-29-13, 10:36 AM
OK .. from reply #31 and this fixture wire identification, .. I am going to TRY to start assembling everything.
All right!

I'd call your fixture a chandelier, based in part on the base-down lamp positioning, but you could call it a pendant fixture, given the chain. Either way. A chandelier is just a special kind of pendant fixture anyway.

Old 05-29-13, 11:25 AM
Alright, kind Sir. I have LEARNED a LOT from you and your associates. Thank you all ... beyond measure.

Here is where I am right now:

Black and White coming from livingroom to dining room light.

Black is connected to black wire going down new romex to black terminal on switch.

White is connected to white fixture wire ... no red flecks. It is also connected to white wire down to switch and to the switch chrome plated terminal.

The red FLECKED fixture wire is connected to red wire going down to switch and then to red terminal on switch.

1 gnd wire from living room and another from SWITCH is connected to FIXTURE bracket

Gnd wire AT switch is connected to GRN terminal.

Please .. approve this ... and I will THEN hit the breaker on ... and dive for cover.

Old 05-29-13, 11:37 AM
Sounds right. Don your helmet and go for it!

Old 05-29-13, 01:19 PM
I believe all our work is done .. with success. The only problem is the switch (which OTHERWISE works perfectly) will not bind to the alarm control panel. Alarm company tech support tried and tried, and tried and could not get it to bind. I have reason to believe the switch is damaged ... because (it's a LONG story). Bottom line is the alarm company is sending an 'installer' (the one who said they could not do any wiring work) back with a BRAND NEW switch. I do believe that will solve the final problem.

I will update this thread after that .. but it will probably be a couple of days. I will again thank everyone then.

EDIT: Just got a call from the FIELD office. Said they had been dispatched back here with a new switch We tried to BIND over the phone THEIR WAY ... and in about 3 minutes, EVERYTHING is working. Total success. Work done.

Now ... it is not enough thanks, but you moderators here are at the top of your game. Not only are you experts in the craft but good with people. Thank you all for your PATIENCE with me, good advice on D., and your tenacity. I am a disabled Viet Nam veteran, and we are to strive to succeed. With your help, I have indeed succeeded. Thank you all again.

Last edited by TexasJohn; 05-29-13 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 03:58 PM
Congratulations!

Thank you for letting us know, for your kind words, and for your service to our country.

Old 05-29-13, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Excellent! Well done. Glad we could help.