Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Electrical Outlets Not Working for 5VDC but work for a 100 watts lamp

Electrical Outlets Not Working for 5VDC but work for a 100 watts lamp

Old 05-28-13, 10:08 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical Outlets Not Working for 5VDC but work for a 100 watts lamp

Hi,

I am able to power a 100 watt lamp on a 115 VAC outlet, but when I try to run a camera, which uses a transformer for 5 VDC, it does not work. If I try this camera, with its transformer to a different outlet, it works.

More on this decision I had already tried another camera with transformer and it worked. Now if I try this other camera does not work anymore on this socket. But this camera works on other outlets.

I call an electrician but he was unable to solve my problem even if he charge me $60.

How is this possible that a 100 watt lamp work but not a 5VDC transformer?
What is the problem?

Old 05-28-13, 10:16 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Have you measured the voltage with an analog multimeter at one plug-in and a lamp turned on plugged into the other plug-in of the receptacle?

Did the electrician change out the receptacle? Are the wires wrapped around the screws or inserted into holes in the back?

Old 05-29-13, 03:57 AM
P
It's what I don't understand. I measured the voltage and it give 115 VAC (123 more exactly). If I connect the 5 VDC transformer I can read 5.01 VDC.
But when I connect the camera she don't work.

I do the same on other outlet and this time all work.
I really don't understand.
Like one circuit is good and other have trouble.

The electrician did nothing. He don't understand what happen.
Wires are around screws.

I'm not sure but I think something in the circuit create "bad stuff" (Interference ?).

The outlet is outside of home and like I say she work except to give power to the camera.

Old 05-29-13, 05:58 AM
Try plugging in an extension cord or power strip into the receptacle, and then plug your camera into the extension cord. Sounds to me like your transformer doesn't like that receptacle. You could also try slightly bending the prongs on the transformer.

Old 05-29-13, 08:10 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Test to see whether the polarity on that receptacle is reversed.

Old 05-29-13, 01:33 PM
Nash, wall warts/LVDC supplies do not have polarity on the AC side.

Old 05-29-13, 01:47 PM
P
Cool

May 29, 2013

I'm not sure but I think I found my problem.
I bought a set of cameras (SecurityMan): two cameras (# 1 and # 2) and a receiver.
In this package it was supposed to have three antennas but there were only two.

So for a camera (# 2) I used a different antenna from an old another company camera (Swann).

I think that the cameras work must send a signal to the receiver before it works (before they can "started" - until the LED light).

There is a night vision cameras and when connecting the LEDs light.
Or so I thought. But I think these LEDs light up only if the camera is able to make contact with the receiver. If the LED does not light and so we think the socket is defective.

I do not know if I express myself correctly. All that to say that I think the problem is connected to the antenna missing (which I replaced with another old camera in a different brand).

I took the antenna of the camera works (# 1) and I placed the camera does not work (# 2) - well that does not work on all outlets.

And surprise there everything works. And if I put the antenna on the camera # 2 on camera # 1, then this is the antenna # 1 no longer works.

Also the camera#2 work on certain outlet so I say the first one have trouble. But I'm wrong I think.

Of course, I did the tests on the socket that I thought it did not work.

If I thought the socket was faulty is that there is a small light on each camera that indicates whether the current. But the two cameras indicated that there was a current, but only one camera running on a socket. I did not think that the antennas could be important for the supply of LED.

I bought my camera on eBay and I was forced to contact SecurityMan to tell them that I had a missing antenna. And they will send it to me soon (for free).
And I can check my theory. If I do more shipments message here it means that the problem was the antenna.

I know you can find me idiot to not have think the problem was the antenna but the outlet.
But it's was really like the outlet was the problem.
I know we need a antenna for wireless camera, but don't know when power the camera, she need to communicate with DVR to open her DEL (night vision).

Hum. Hope you are not too much confuse.

Sorry for the length of this message. Perhaps this experience will serve other one day...

Thank all you for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: