Code for kitchen outlets

Old 05-29-13, 12:08 PM
Search Engine Optimized Spammers Not Allowed!
Code for kitchen outlets

Does an outlet on an adjacent wall (at a corner) count towards counter space being within 24" of an outlet for the counter space along the other wall (if that makes sense)? So I have Wall A and Wall B (they meet at a corner). If there is an outlet on Wall A near the corner, does this count towards the "outlet within 24'" rule for counter space along Wall B near that corner?

Also, I've seen people put an outlet UNDER the upper cabinet (so outlet is facing towards the counter). Is there any code against this, or does this meet code?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-13, 12:18 PM
You're fine having an outlet at the corner. You can count an outlet in the outlet spacing like a straight wall. As long as no spot on the counter is more than 2' from an outlet.

Receptacles in the cabinets are acceptable.

Old 05-29-13, 12:22 PM
If there is an outlet on Wall A near the corner, does this count towards the "outlet within 24'" rule for counter space along Wall B near that corner?
If the counter turns the corner then you will need a receptacle on Wall B. Here's the requirement:
1) Wall Counter Space. A receptacle outlet must be installed for every kitchen and dining area counter wall space 12 inches or wider. Receptacles must be installed so that no point along the counter wall space is more than 2 feet (measured horizontally) from a receptacle outlet.

Source: Mike Holt's NEC Code Tips
Receptacles facing downward should be twist-lock receptacles, at least IMO.

Old 05-29-13, 12:24 PM
Thanks!

When you say "outlets in cabinets are acceptable" - I'd originally asked about an outlet attached to the underside the cabinet. What about an outlet installed in the lower shelf of the cabinet (so you have to open the cabinet door to get to the outlet). Does that meet the "every 24" rule?

Thanks!

Old 05-29-13, 12:32 PM
What about an outlet installed in the lower shelf of the cabinet (so you have to open the cabinet door to get to the outlet). Does that meet the "every 24" rule?
No. The SABC receptacles must be accessible from the counter without opening any doors. A receptacle inside a cabinet is acceptable for loads in that cabinet.

An appliance garage is an interesting case - a receptacle inside that would Not count.

Last edited by pcboss; 05-29-13 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 01:00 PM
If the counter turns the corner then you will need a receptacle on Wall B.

The counter does turn the corner (the counter runs along both walls and meets at the corner, just like a normal corner in a kitchen). There is an outlet along Wall B, but it's more than 24" from the corner. Wall A's outlet is around 13" from the corner (I'm guessing here).

So Nashkat1 - are you saying that this would not meet code (that is, the statement above about laying the walls out one after the other in a straight line (by Justin Smith) is inaccurate)?

Regarding outlets attached to the underside of a cabinet - would something like the following meet code?

http://http://www.gatzies.com/p-7259...utlet-kit.aspx

Thanks

Last edited by seosmp; 05-29-13 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Your link does not work, but I could see you are thinking of using wiremold/plugmold. You can use plugmold on the underside of the upper cabinets and still meet code. But only if they are less than 20" from the counter, AND protected by a GFCI breaker.

Remember, you can have 48" between outlets over a counter. The code says
Receptacles must be installed so that no point along the counter wall space is more than 2 feet (measured horizontally) from a receptacle outlet.
So if you have an appliance sitting in the middle of two receptacles that are 48" apart, it is within at least one that is not more than 24' away.

Old 05-29-13, 07:46 PM
There is an outlet along Wall B, but it's more than 24" from the corner. Wall A's outlet is around 13" from the corner (I'm guessing here).
Then the first receptacle along Wall B can be up to 35" from the corner (or whatever 48" less the actual measurement from the center of the last receptacle on Wall A to the corner turns out to be).

are you saying that this would not meet code (that is, the statement above about laying the walls out one after the other in a straight line (by Justin Smith) is inaccurate)?
No. That's exactly accurate.

Old 05-29-13, 07:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The measurement is taken along the wall line.if one was 12" from the corner of Wall A, the next could be up to 36" away on Wall B.

Old 05-29-13, 08:11 PM
Thanks!! That helps a lot!

BTW - the link was to a very shallow outlet box called "Wiremold Ivory Metallic Outlet Kit" (I was not considering plugmold). I was trying to just check into what could be hidden/recessed under the cabinet so people sitting would not see it.

THANKS AGAIN for the replies!!

Old 05-29-13, 08:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
UNDER the cabinet is one thing - that's fine. IN the cabinet is another - and that's not allowed.

Old 05-30-13, 08:53 AM
Sorry for the confusion. When I said in the cabinet I meant the box in the cabinet and the receptacle face under the cabinet. I should've been more clear on that.

Old 05-30-13, 12:02 PM
I meant the box in the cabinet and the receptacle face under the cabinet
I haven't seen that done. Sounds like a really cool and barely visible installation.

Old 05-30-13, 12:04 PM
No problem! Thanks for clarifying!!

Old 05-30-13, 12:08 PM
How did you hide the refrigerator, smoke detectors, and light switches?

Wires mean progress!