how many circuits in a bathroom

Old 06-01-13, 06:45 AM
how many circuits in a bathroom

I am making some changes in a bathroom area and have all the walls open and figured this is as good a time as its going to get to do the wiring.

The bathroom area consists of a small hall 4x4 thats 1 light fixture , a toilet and sink area that is 1 light fixture , 1 receptacle and 1 fan and a separate area where there is a sink and a shower that will be 2 lights, 1 receptacle and 1 fan for the shower.
The total being 4 light fixtures, 2 receptacles and 2 100cfm vent fans, how many circuits should I be using?

Thanks for all comments guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-13, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
Code says one dedicated 20 amp circuit minimum. Nothing in the information you gave indicates you need more than that. Are there also going to be towel warmers and heated floors? Multiple people using hair dryers at the same time? Vent fans with heat?

Old 06-01-13, 07:17 AM
Sounds fine to me. Do not be tempted to extend this circuit on the other side of the wall, NOR to any other bathrooms. Once you put the lights and bum-warmers on here you're committed to this room.

Old 06-01-13, 07:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it were me and I had the walls nekkid, I would go above code and run a separate circuit (15a) for the lighting and one for the receptacles and shower fan (20a). I would probably also make the shower fan a light as well, since showers are dim to begin with. Not required, but nice.

Old 06-02-13, 06:18 AM
Thanks for your postings everyone, I decided to spend a little extra on wiring and go with chandlers advice.

Old 06-02-13, 07:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd do the same as Chandler. It's amazing how some people feel the need to use a hair dryer and hair straightener at the same time, or is that just my wife?

Just wanted to throw in that if the fan is outside the shower, it can typically be wired up normally. If it's within the shower area (above the shower), it usually needs to be GFI protected (per the fan installation instructions).