Replacing Electrical Outlet

Old 06-02-13, 09:55 AM
Replacing Electrical Outlet

I'm replacing several electrical outlets (something I've done before). Most original outlets had used side wiring, and i have done my replacements in the same way. I've run across one now that was wired with a black and white wire in each of the punch holes on the lower part of the outlet and also a black and white wire on each of the lower side screws. Can I wire the replacement outlet using all four side screws?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 10:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, just adhere to color code. Brass screw is hot/black, and silver screw is neutral /white. That is a preferred way of doing it. If you have more than 2 cables it is better to pigtail all the wires to a single wire and attach them to the screws.

Old 06-02-13, 10:19 AM
Group Moderator
Most original outlets had used side wiring, and i have done my replacements in the same way
If you by side wire mean under a pressure plate tightened by a screw that is fine. If you mean inserted into holes in the back that hold the wire with spring not so good. The only reason I asked is it is unusal to see side wired receptacles in residential applications.

was wired with a black and white wire in each of the punch holes on the lower part of the outlet and also a black and white wire on each of the lower side screws. Can I wire the replacement outlet using all four side screws?
Yes, if this is a side wired or back wired receptacle and will take two wires under each screw. However best practice if this is a residential grade receptacle with back stabs you shouldn't use the back stabs. Best practice is to pigtail them to the receptacle.