I don't get LED's

Old 06-02-13, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't get LED's

I don't understand LED can lights...

Are there two types? I'm guessing here but...

Is there one that is dedicated LED housing.

And the other would be a regular incandescent/halogen housing that a LED bulb could be inserted. LED bulb would contain driver, etc.

It looks like if I install the LED housing, I would need a special bulb and special trim. Is this true?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The LED conversion lights come with a white trim, so it's a one shot thing. They are running about $25 each, which sounds high, but they last a long while over incandescent.

Old 06-02-13, 08:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He's talking about the cans that come with LEDs. Yes, those have a transformer built in, so you can only use LED in it. My opinion would be to get the standard housings and the conversion LEDs. It's pretty much a wash in price but if later on you decide you don't like the LEDs and want to go to CFL, you don't have to rip out the housing.

Old 06-02-13, 09:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes Jersey,
I was referring to the can itself. I think I agree it would be better to install a standard remodel housing and insert an LED bulb into it.
However, that's only because I'm familiar with the standard cans and not sure how the LED housings work. I am familiar with the CFL housing with a 26W ballast and triple tube CFL. I'm guessing the LED is similar to this with different guts.

Thanks

Old 06-03-13, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Cree Lighting Products: LR6 Downlight

This happens to be one I have worked with. It uses a standard 6" can (new or remodel). It screws into the socket in the can, socket and light hang free, The "wings" grab the can when you push it in. To remove, you twist the trim, the "wings" collapse, and you drop the light for service.

Old 06-04-13, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
I agree with the others. Install cans with standard Edison base sockets and then use a lamp/trim of your choice. It will give you the most flexibility.