I don't get LED's


Old 06-02-13, 07:55 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't get LED's

I don't understand LED can lights...

Are there two types? I'm guessing here but...

Is there one that is dedicated LED housing.

And the other would be a regular incandescent/halogen housing that a LED bulb could be inserted. LED bulb would contain driver, etc.

It looks like if I install the LED housing, I would need a special bulb and special trim. Is this true?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-13, 08:09 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The LED conversion lights come with a white trim, so it's a one shot thing. They are running about $25 each, which sounds high, but they last a long while over incandescent.
Old 06-02-13, 09:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KS
Posts: 1,896
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
He's talking about the cans that come with LEDs. Yes, those have a transformer built in, so you can only use LED in it. My opinion would be to get the standard housings and the conversion LEDs. It's pretty much a wash in price but if later on you decide you don't like the LEDs and want to go to CFL, you don't have to rip out the housing.
Old 06-02-13, 10:27 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes Jersey,
I was referring to the can itself. I think I agree it would be better to install a standard remodel housing and insert an LED bulb into it.
However, that's only because I'm familiar with the standard cans and not sure how the LED housings work. I am familiar with the CFL housing with a 26W ballast and triple tube CFL. I'm guessing the LED is similar to this with different guts.

Old 06-03-13, 08:37 AM
czizzi's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 7,376
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Cree Lighting Products: LR6 Downlight

This happens to be one I have worked with. It uses a standard 6" can (new or remodel). It screws into the socket in the can, socket and light hang free, The "wings" grab the can when you push it in. To remove, you twist the trim, the "wings" collapse, and you drop the light for service.
Old 06-04-13, 09:40 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 13,057
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
I agree with the others. Install cans with standard Edison base sockets and then use a lamp/trim of your choice. It will give you the most flexibility.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: