Electrical weirdness

Old 06-04-13, 02:58 PM
Electrical weirdness

So I can do plaster and drywall, some woodworking and plumbing, but electricity scares me. I moved into a 100 year old house at the end of February. Everything was working fine. Last week, all of a sudden, my kitchen radio wouldn't turn on. I tried moving it around and found an outlet where it worked, and went in the basement to look for a thrown breaker. All were on. Then my tv in the livingroom wouldn't turn on. Then a couple of lights in the kitchen wouldn't turn on. Again, I went down to the breaker box. Even tried to turn off and on the ones that go to the kitchen. Long story less long: if I turn on the cook top to my stove, then all these items will work. Turn off the cooktop and off go the lights, off goes the radio, off goes the tv. I'm thinking a loose wire... but where?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-13, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
if I turn on the cook top to my stove, then all these items will work.
Call the electric companies emergency number now. Tell them you have a dropped leg. Do it tonight. Turn off all 240 volt breakers till they check it out. Be sure it is the emergency number not customer service you call.

Old 06-04-13, 03:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turn off all your 240 volt (double) breakers. Call your local power company emergency number, right now!! Don't wait until tomorrow. There is a problem possibly on their end of the lines that needs to be corrected. Please let us know what they have to say about it.

Old 06-05-13, 10:06 AM
I don't have a computer at home so I didn't see this until this morning. I called and told them please don't let my Newfie out of the backyard when they go to the meter.

Old 06-05-13, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Newfie out of the backyard when they go to the meter.
Good way to get them to just do a drive by and mark the call unable to complete because of dog.

Old 06-05-13, 10:59 AM
So I called the emergency line this morning and they just called to say that there was a loose connection at the street pole. I'll check that things are working properly when I get home, but it looks like problem solved! Thank you!

Old 06-05-13, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Excellent! Glad it seems to have worked out for you. Let us know after you get home if it is resolved.

Old 06-05-13, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let us know after you get home if it is resolved.
Can't....no computer
Kmmand, glad you called and got it resolved. We have had posters that were slow, or reluctant to call the emergency number. Believe me, it was an emergency, even if you didn't see smoke.