new circuit for washer/dryer

Old 06-04-13, 03:52 PM
new circuit for washer/dryer

Im planning to install a washer and full electric dryer in an out building.

There is currently no power in the building.
do i need to run a dedicated 30 amp for the dryer and a separate 20 amp from the main or could I run a 50 amp circuit from the main to the building into a sub panel and then split it to a 30 amp 220 for the dryer and a 20 amp 115 circuit for the washer?

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-13, 04:05 PM
Group Moderator
It will have to be a subpanel because you can't have two power sources to a detached building. You should be able to use a 40 amp breaker in the source panel. It can be either 8-3 UF cable buried 24" or PVC conduit with three #8 THWN and one #10 THWN individual wires buried 18". You will need at least one ground rod at the shed. See diagrams here: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-diagrams.html

Note best practice if you run UF direct burial cable don't use conduit except for short sections for protection above the ground.

Tech note: Residential voltage is 120/240 not 115/220.

Old 06-04-13, 06:12 PM
If you do not want electric lighting you could get away with a single 240 volt circuit by using European laundry equipment. Many of the European models run on straight 240 volts with both the dryer and washer connecting to the same 30 ampere circuit.

Old 06-04-13, 06:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Furd bring up a good point. An additional circuit may be needed for lighting at the outbuilding.

Old 06-04-13, 07:32 PM
Ray, thanks for the diagram and the info. if I want to add a light to the shed while i'm at it, could i not use the same 120v circuit for the light as the washing machine?
I would have thought that 40 amps would not be enough if i need a 30 amp and a 20 amp together.
Im in NH so will be using pvc conduit due to very rocky soil.

i'll probably want to stick with standard washer/dryer set vs european but it sounds like its worth looking into.

Old 06-04-13, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
The lights and washing machine could be on the same 20 amp breaker. Lights might dim a bit for a second or two when the washer motor kicks in. The power you need is based on the full load of the appliance not the breaker it is on. Washing machine is 7-12 amps except when starting and the dryer is probably under 20 amps. Check the nameplate for the full load amps.

You could use #6 on a 50 amp breaker to be sure.