Doorbell Only Dings

Old 06-05-13, 03:06 AM
Doorbell Only Dings

Trying to replace a doorbell that does not work. I have one front door button, one downstairs ringer and one upstairs ringer. The downstairs ringer does not work. When I installed new ringer, it only dings, no dong. I wired the two wires to Front and Transformer. The upstairs still works fine.

I do not know where the transformer is, so cannot tell you what its power rating is. Maybe it is not strong enough to power both bells. Just one ding-dong and one ding?

I have tried all the wiring combinations possible on the downstairs ringer and button.

btw, if I change the downstairs ringer to Rear, it will Dong, but no Ding.

I have a Utilitech #UT-35-00 from Lowes.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-13, 05:20 AM
Group Moderator
If the other chime is disconnected will it work?

Old 06-05-13, 08:14 AM
The ding OR dong is to tell you which door has the visitor but the front usually does the ding/dong chime. (The Rear solenoid typically has one end of the striker cut short)
Make sure you removed all traces of rubber bands, tape or foam that may have held the chimes inside the ringer. Can you flick the solenoid plunger with your finger & make it strike both chimes to get the ding/dong sound? Lastly, have someone push the button while you watch the striker to see if it moves far enough. The solenoid pulls it down against the spring & it hits the lower chime, then when the button is released the spring pushes it up to hit the upper chime. That's for a normal mechanical doorbell, of course. If you have an electronic one it may be defective or set wrong.

Old 06-06-13, 12:21 AM
Ray, when I disconnected the upstairs ringer, then pressed the doorbell button, the downstairs ringer sounded the desired ding-dong. Does that mean the transformer is too small for the current needed by two ringers? Reconnecting the upstairs ringer after the test resulted in the downstairs ringer only dinging again.

Guy, yes all the packing materials were removed. When I triggered the solenoids, they played both sounds.

Any further questions, or is the transformer the issue?

Thanks for your help, guys!

Old 06-06-13, 02:10 AM
Group Moderator
Yes.....the transformer is too small. It's probably a 16vac 10 watt transformer and you'll need a 16vac 20 watt transformer (also listed as 20va)

You will need to replace the existing transformer. You can not double up or add a second one to the first one.

Old 06-06-13, 01:51 PM
Thanks, guess I will have to go on a 'transformer hunt'.

But, probably a stupid question - If I change my upstairs ringer wire to Rear, and the downstairs ringer to Front, will it allow the Downstairs to dingdong, and the upstairs to only ding?
Right now, both are on Front, and the upstairs goes dingdong and the downstairs only dings.

Old 06-06-13, 07:29 PM
Probably not and it would be confusing as well. AS PJ stated, you need a new transformer with a greater output rating. I personally would look for a 40 VA model.