dedicated circuit

Old 06-07-13, 03:45 PM
dedicated circuit

On older 70s homes did they keep dining room outlets on their own circuit,and are they required to be now as with nec in usa.
Also on bedroom circuit is there any limit to splices and junction boxes .

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-13, 04:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not required, but they can't be off the appliance circuits on the kitchen countertop.

The limit would be the size of the box and the number of conductors you are trying to put together. Fill us in on all. If you are messing with a bedroom circuit, you may have to install an AFCI breaker if your jurisdiction requires adherence to the latest code version.

Old 06-07-13, 06:58 PM
I have found a bedroom circuit coming off dining room outlets ,20 amp, circuit junctioned before entering dining room. It then runs to bedroom and junctioned to 5 outlets .is older home though.no changes made,at least not to that circuit.was that typical in 70s to join them like that? and would it bring a red flag on inspection even if it was grandfathered ?

Old 06-07-13, 08:50 PM
was that typical in 70s to join them like that?
The layout of electrical circuits was, and still is, at the discretion of the installer.

would it bring a red flag on inspection even if it was grandfathered?
If something is grandfathered it is, by definition, exempt from a requirement to bring it into compliance with later regulations. I've retained working sections of knob-and-tube wiring, pointed them out to an inspector, and passed.

Why are you asking? Are you getting ready for an inspection? Or are you just considering whether to do the work required to rework your system to comply with current regulations?

In answer to your original question, the currently adopted code, in most jurisdictions, will require two dedicated 20A Small Appliance Branch Circuits in a dining room. Just like the two for the countertop receptacles in the kitchen, with one difference: The two circuits in the dining room will have AFCI, rather than GFCI, protection.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 06-09-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 08:11 PM
No I just wondered about that as i was updating a few things as to breakers and running a few direct dedicted circuits -laundry,dishwasher,etc...down the road it will be inspected but hopefully will be no problems with it..location of main (70s style)panel may be a issue though (bathroom).is a Crouse Hinds

Old 06-08-13, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
location of main (70s style)panel may be a issue though (bathroom).is a Crouse Hinds
What is the issue you are referring to ...... a Crouse Hinds panel or the panel being in the bathroom ?

Old 06-09-13, 04:29 PM
The panel located in a bathroom is a definite issue under today's codes, but it may be grandfathered. That one will be up to the AHJ. If you have a Crouse-Hinds panel, it's probably not the original panel. I don't believe Crouse-Hinds entered the electric distribution business till the '80s.

Old 06-09-13, 08:00 PM
I just wondered about that as i was updating a few things as to breakers and running a few direct dedicted circuits...
If you have enough breaker spaces, this would be the time to get two 20A SABCs into the dining room. Put them where the coffee pot and waffle iron could be plugged into them.