need advice for mounting outdoor boxes

Old 06-08-13, 08:17 AM
need advice for mounting outdoor boxes

I need to mount the outdoor box (pictured below) onto my vinyl siding (pictured below) for an electrical line.

I also need to mount the PVC pull elbow (pictured below sticking out of the mulch) for my sprinkler system wiring into my cinderblock wall which will connect to wiring (coming from my sprinkler controller in my garage) inside an identical pull elbow inside my unfinished basement. This is low voltage wiring so I doubt I need to mount electrical junction boxes anywhere, the pull elbows should suffice. Unless someone has a better idea???

I need to know from start to finish what I need to do for each of the two tasks because I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

For the electrical box, I will be drilling (the drill bit size is TBD) through my sill plate and right through the siding. Once I make that hole, do I need to enlarge the hole from the outside at all? I need to account for the fact that I will have a Romex connector attached to the back of the box where it will mount to my siding.

After running the wire through the hole in the wall and mounting the box with the brackets, what do I use to seal the hole in the vinyl siding and how do I go about doing this? I purchased Duct Seal putty in HD's electrical section yesterday. Is this what I should use or do I use silicone instead? In my basement I mounted a junction box in a joist just above where then UF 14/2 wire will entry from outdoors. After pulling the wire through and sealing everything from the outside first, should this hole be filled with the putty or with silicone or just left alone?

For the PVC elbow, I need to rent a hammer drill to make a hole large enough (from the basement outwards) for the PVC to fit in. What should I use to weatherseal it from the outside and inside, the same putty? I plan on putting an identical elbow inside the basement on the other side of the hole and connecting the two with an appropriately sized PVC pipe. There will be no connection made on the outside. The elbow merely serves as the entry point into my basement. The connections (to the wire coming from my sprinkler controller) will be made in the indoor pull elbow.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-13, 09:32 AM
I need to mount the outdoor box (pictured below) onto my vinyl siding (pictured below) for an electrical line.
The easiest way to mount your receptacle will most likely be to install a mounting block into your siding - or onto it, different styles work differently. There are a lot of different styles, just search for one you like that'll look OK with your siding. Instructions will come with it.

No need for duct putty for the mounting block and receptacle. You might need some silicone caulk.

The duct seal might be useful for sealing around the piece of conduit for the low voltage, but I've always used expanding foam for that, I like to slant the hole slightly downward from inside to outside, but that can be tricky and isn't absolutely critical.

The connections (to the wire coming from my sprinkler controller) will be made in the indoor pull elbow.
Most LBs aren't rated to hold splices. Unless you can find one that specifically says it is, you should mount a box on the inside for making your splices in.

Old 06-08-13, 10:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Builders Edge Electrical Mounting Block #030 Paintable-130110010030 at The Home Depot

The easyest one to use is one like this.
The siding will need to be removed where the box is to be mounted to, then you cut the siding to fit around the siding block. You have to leave about 3/8" from the siding to the siding block so the siding has room to expand and contract.

Your also going to need to run those wires from the LB to under ground in PVC conduit so no one hits them with the line trimmer or mower.

Old 06-08-13, 10:48 AM
Your also going to need to run those wires from the LB to under ground in PVC conduit so no one hits them with the line trimmer or mower.
Schedule 80 PVC. A string trimmer can cut or shatter Schedule 40 PVC.

Old 06-11-13, 06:41 AM
The easiest way to mount your receptacle will most likely be to install a mounting block into your siding - or onto it, different styles work differently. There are a lot of different styles, just search for one you like that'll look OK with your siding. Instructions will come with it.

No need for duct putty for the mounting block and receptacle. You might need some silicone caulk.
Thanks. I really don't want to cut into the siding (other than the hole for the wire) so I guess I'll just have to silicone the mounting block from the outside.

Old 06-11-13, 07:27 AM
I really don't want to cut into the siding (other than the hole for the wire) so I guess I'll just have to silicone the mounting block from the outside.
A surface-mount block is probably easier when the siding is already on. Just get one that has a stepped back that will align with the face of your siding.

Old 06-11-13, 12:22 PM
Thanks, I just picked one up. Arlington FS8141T for 1/2" siding.

Old 06-11-13, 04:45 PM
I just picked one up. Arlington FS8141T for 1/2" siding.
I hope you found something that'll work for you. The product # you entered is for an outlet box.

Perhaps we misled you by not referring to a Siding Box Kit. That seems to be Arlington's term of choice for what most of us call mounting blocks.

Old 06-11-13, 08:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Nashkat1 View Post
Most LBs aren't rated to hold splices. Unless you can find one that specifically says it is, you should mount a box on the inside for making your splices in.

This is low voltage 24VAC. Those connections aren't even required to be in a junction box. The LB is purely cosmetic in this case.