Shed Wiring plans and Diagram. Will this work!?

Old 06-08-13, 03:43 PM
Shed Wiring plans and Diagram. Will this work!?

I am running electricity to a newly built 12x16 shed in my backyard. The shed will be used as a woodworking workshop and I plan on adding heat/ac in the near future. I am planning on running a 6.-3 uf-b wire connected to a 50a 240v double pole breaker from the main panel in my house to the shed. The wire will be run 18” underground in schedule 80 conduit to the shed. The shed is raised off the ground on one side about 3’ (it was built on a slope). I plan on entering the shed on the side that is 3' up from the ground through the floor and up through the bottom plate to about shoulder height where I will install a subpanel between the studs. The uf-b cable will be connected to another 50a 240 main breaker in the shed which would power the subpanel. I am planning on using a Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 100 Amp 8-Space 16-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Load Center for a subpanel. From the subpanel I will be running all wires which will be NM type ran in schedule 80 conduit since the walls will not be finished. I am planning on running one 12-2 NM 240V 20A wire to a 240V receptacle for the heater/ac. This will be run off of a 240V 20A double breaker in the sub-panel. One 14-nm 120v 15a nm wire to a single pole light switch and then to 2 chained fluorescent overhead lights. This will be running off a 120V 15A breaker in the subpanel. I then plan on running 3 other separate 120V 20A GFCI outlets off three 120V 20A breakers from the subpanel. One of those outlets will be to a Weatherproof GFCI located on the outside wall of the shed. I am an avid DIYer but have not done much electrical work before. I have done a ton of research and read the entire Black & Decker Wiring book and threads on this site so I feel confident I can complete this myself. I am planning on obtaining a permit for the work but this requires a plan that needs to be submitted. Will my above listed plan and the wiring diagram work for this? Also any advice you could give or corrections that need to be made would be greatly appreciated. I live in Omaha, Ne and they use the 2008 NEC. I believe my plan is compliant with this but I want to double check with you guys if you see anything that doesn’t look right.

Thanks in Advance

Name:  WIREplans.jpg
Views: 30595
Size:  22.2 KB

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-13, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
The wire will be run 18” underground in schedule 80 conduit to the shed.
Schedule 40 is adequate undr ground. Best practice is to run individual conductors such as THWN in conduit. If you use cable best practice is to bury it at least 24" and use no conduit except for shot lengths for protection such as where it enters and leaves the ground. 6-3 would be a real bear to pull through conduit and there is no reason to use it with conduit.

Old 06-08-13, 05:39 PM
If you are going to be using conduit then forget about running cable. Type UF is extremely hard to pull through conduit and it is just plain difficult to work with at all. Use individual conductors with type THWN (more likely THHN/THWN) insulation.

Same goes for the wiring inside, use individual conductors rather than cable. Schedule 40 PVC is adequate except for areas where it is subject to damage such as between the earth and the entry point to the building IF that area will be subject to having the grass/weeds being hacked down with a string trimmer. Most of the inside will be fine with schedule 40 conduit or you could do it with EMT as long as you ground the conduit and boxes. You can even use the EMT as a sleeve and run type NM above eight feet (assuming the shed is that tall) without additional protection.

Old 06-08-13, 07:31 PM
Would an inspector care if i used the same colored thwn feeder wire for both hots, the neutral and the ground as long as i labeled them at both breakers? I am just wondering if i can buy a 500' spool or if it is required to have them color coded?

Old 06-08-13, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
The hots can be any color except factory gray white or green and they can both be the same color. Standard practice two blacks or red and black.

#6 and smaller neutral must be factory white.

#6 and smaller ground (EGC) must be facory green or bare but bare can't be used in conduit.

Old 06-08-13, 08:37 PM
Some of the big box mega-mart home improvement centers sell the wire on 100 foot spools for a per-foot price between the cut price and the price of a 500 foot spool. I've even seen 50 and 25 foot spools but I don't think the price is so good.

You might want to talk this over with your inspector as some local inspectors are not absolutists when it comes to re-identifying conductors and will allow you to do so even where the national code states no.