Lighted wall switch doesn't light

Old 02-11-01, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Just put the switch in. It's a 3-way. Lights turn off and on from either switch, but switch itself never lights when light is off. I'ts got 3 wires, red white and black. The black is attached to a black screw. The black screw and another are marked as common. What say????

Old 02-11-01, 07:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Read any documentation that may have came with the switch, assuming that both 3-way switches work properly then I will assume that for the most part it wired correctly, however if I understood you corrctly there is an light in the switch itself that illuminates the switch. I would suspect that the switch would also require a ground connection to the electrical box. In order for the internal light in the switch to work, it would need a way to connect to the other side of the line, meaning a neutral or ground. Switches 2-way or 3-way only switch one side of the line (the black hot circuit wire feed) , but when you put a light illumination into the switch, it would need excess to the other side of the line in order for the light to work. Now I have never used an illuminated switch , so I am not sure if there is another screw connection on the switch or it gets a ground from the metal casing of teh switch which thru the mounting screws gets grounded to the outlet box.

I am sure there is another DIY that does have experience with these switches that can provide more details.

Old 02-12-01, 07:38 PM
spike
Visiting Guest
I installed a couple of switches that light when they are turned on, single pole (not 3 way). These particular switches did indeed require that I bring neutral in to a terminal on the switch for the light. dkerr is right, the switches should have a wiring diagram on the box or on a slip of paper with them. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: