3 Way Switch/Dimmer wiring- please help

Old 06-11-13, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 Way Switch/Dimmer wiring- please help

Hello, I have a question regarding a 3 way switch. On my new construction home, I originally had a single pole switch controlling a stairs light, and 2 lights at the bottom of my stairs wired (red and black). I would like to add a dimmer light 3way (Leviton Ilummatech) at the bottom of my stairs and replace the single pole with a regular 3 way switch.
When I opened up the 2 gang box there are 3 x 14-3 cables.
1st cable has nothing attached to it and is leading downstairs and also has nothing connected to it (I guess was left for future).
2nd 14-3 cable is wired to my single pole switch (red & black-120v) white to white on the 3rd 14-3 cable, ground to ground on box.
3rd 14-3 cable is wired to my hallway light (red to traveler, black from 2nd cable (120v) common, black to other traveler.
My question is how do I wire in my 3 way switch with the 1st 14-3 cable & 2nd 14-3 cable and connect it to my 3 way dimmer downstairs? Please help?
THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way analog dimmers hook up just like any other 3 way switch. The 'switch' part of it functions exactly like a standard 3-way, the only difference is it has the dimmer in series with the common terminal (that's how it can dim regardless of which traveler is in use).

However I am a bit stumped as to why/how in new construction you only have a single switch controlling a stairway light.. You must have control at every level and landing with an entryway as required by 210.70(A)(2)(c).

Also your description is a bit hard to follow.. If you could give us a visual of how things are connected at each box (even if you just sketch it on paper and take a picture of it) it would help immensely.

Old 06-11-13, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I have a question regarding a 3 way switch. On my new construction home, I originally had a single pole switch controlling a stairs light
What kind of switch are you referring to as a "single pole switch?" A single-location on/off switch is a single-pole, single-throw switch. A 3-way switch is a single-pole, double-throw switch. Does the switch you want to replace have two brass power terminals with two wires connected to it or two brass terminals and a black terminal with three wires connected?

2 lights at the bottom of my stairs wired (red and black).
Which lights do you want to add a dimmer control to? The stair light, the two lights at the bottom, or both? Can you turn those lights on and off from more than one location now?