Hair Dryers and blown GFI plugs

Old 06-11-13, 06:45 PM
Hair Dryers and blown GFI plugs

My daughter was using a blow dryer and the circuit blew. She hit the reset button and my wife went downstairs to check the breaker. She wasn't sure so she shut it off and turned it back, the power in the bathroom came back on but 5 outlets in my living room remain dead. I turned the breaker off and checked the connections on all the plugs, all wire are connected and tight. All of the connections are screwed in ,no backstabs. I am an architect, not an electrician, so my knowledge stops with replacing an outlet, could it be a bad breaker? and how do I check to se if it is a bad breaker?

Thank you all in advance!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-13, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
The bathroom receptacle should not be on the same breaker as the living room. The hair dryer should not have affected the living room. At this point I'd say your wife accidentally turned off the living room breaker. Start by turning off then on all 15 amp single pole breakers. If that doesn't do it repeat with the 20 amp single pole breakers.

Old 06-11-13, 07:12 PM
Welcome to the forums, Ricky.

The living room receptacles should not be on the same circuit as the receptacle in any bathroom. Receptacle circuits are often 20A single-pole circuits.

how do I check to se if it is a bad breaker?
See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light...

Old 06-11-13, 08:32 PM
I agree that the bathroom plug should not be on the same breaker. This problem has happened on a few occasions and I know my wife didn't turn off the wrong breaker. It is marked on the panel downstairs and I have reset the breaker previously myself. But the outlets never stopped working before.

Old 06-11-13, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't say it was intentional. A hand can brush a breaker handle without you knowing it. Before going further you need to turn all 120 breakers off then on. If no luck using a multimeter (preferably analog) check each breaker to see if you have ~120 volts. Measure from the breaker terminal screw to the neutral bar.

Old 06-13-13, 11:48 AM
Ray,
went back to the panel myself and tripped the circuits and turned them back. I did that to all of them. Still no luck. I turned the breaker off and opened every outlet to check for a loose connection. All the plugs are wired tightly. I was thinking that the breaker was bad, but if that was the case, then the original outlet, (the bathroom) would not work after turning the breaker back on. Is there a tool I can buy to check the wiring and see if ther is a place where it stops?
thanks
Rick

Old 06-13-13, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
An $8-$15 analog multimeter is a good general purpose meter to use. The digital meters are syre sexy looking and a bit easier to read but the cheap one can give erroneous readings do to induced voltages. Do not buy a kit. You pay more and get things that you don't really need. Do not buy a non contact tester. They are useless for most testing.

When you get your multimeter you wil want to make the following tests at each receptacle with the wires disconected.
  • Measure voltage black to white of each cable.
  • Black to ground.
  • Ground to white.
See: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html for a more through explanation.

Old 06-19-13, 07:29 PM
I'm gathering the hair dryer plug is GFCI protected as you mention that your daughter hit the reset button.

If one of the outlets downstream in this circuit is GFCI protected the outage may be due to the GFCI outlet being tripped. When two or more GFCI devices are present in the same circuit (ex: Hair Dryer and outlet), tripping is not uncommon.

Check all non functioning outlets to see if one is GFCI protected and tripped.