2 wire start generator conversion

Old 06-12-13, 11:42 AM
2 wire start generator conversion

i am trying to convet a generac genset to 2 wire start Generac has a secret code to convert a nexus controller doe it work on the evolution controller

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-13, 10:59 PM
2-wire start convertion for Nexus Generac control panel

Nexus conroller is easy, it's programmable. The new Evolution controller I don't know about yet.

As you can see, there's 3 versions. I had version 2. Generac dealer knew nothing about required wires, so I found these contacts on Digi-Key. I crimpled them to the wire and then stuck them into the housing. Make sure you crimple well. If a wire comes off after insertion, it's very hard to remove the contact from the housing. Also, make sure you take the black rubber protector off before inserting wires. Put it back when wires are an place.

Once you do the "PROGRAMMING", you must set the switch to "AUTO". Generac will stop responding to power outages and will only start when you connect the two wires attached.

When you connect the wires, it'll still wait for 10 sec (or whatever delay you set) and then start. When you disconnect the wires, it'll wait for about a minute (which it would run without load) and then stop. It's a good idea to make sure that the load is removed before switching it off.

Wires 23/194 (if I remember numbers) - white and red, will output 12V when the generator is running. They are designed to operate the relay in the transfer switch. The relay is about 1W. You can use them in AGS if needed, or you can still use them to operate the transfer switch to disconnect the generator from the inverter when it's starting and stopping. The later will require small modifications to the transfer switch wiring.

Do not forget to connect blue wire to 120V AC. It is necessary to trickle charge the battery. Without it, Nexus will drain the battery.

Name:  g2w1.JPG
Views: 3912
Size:  44.7 KBName:  g2w2.jpg
Views: 4417
Size:  33.6 KBName:  g2w3.jpg
Views: 3557
Size:  25.1 KBName:  g2w4.jpg
Views: 3383
Size:  27.4 KBName:  g2w5.JPG
Views: 3665
Size:  43.2 KB

Old 11-19-13, 11:16 PM
2-wire start for Nexus

Another way to add a remote start is by adding a 2nd switch in series with the switch in the panel. Add it to the wire running to the "on" side of the switch. This keeps the original switch functional as a master "off" when you need to do maintenance, otherwise keep it in the "on" position (or "auto" depending on your needs), then use the remote switch (or relay) to control it.

Old 11-19-13, 11:22 PM
Magnum Energy version for Nexus 2-wire start for Generac

follow link...
http://www.magnumenergy.com/Literatu...01-20-2011.pdf