Doorbell clarification

Old 06-12-13, 01:46 PM
Doorbell clarification

My first, nice to be here.

I apologize if this question has been asked before, I did search but could not find a situation like mine.

We are moving into a new townhouse and the doorbell was not working when I tested it. I am not sure of the age of the town house, but I think it was probably built in the late 60's. The wiring for the doorbell is like this:

Transformer is downstairs, visible. There is a 2 conductor wire (black and white wires) going from it to the chime area. There is a second 2 conductor wire going from the chime area to the front door push. I have toned out the wires with my tone kit and they are all fine.

I have an old Friedland chime. It has 4 terminals labeld 0 through 3. I have located wiring diagrams for it and it sort of makes sense. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...edland/113.pdf

However, when I wired it like the diagram shows me the chime buzzes electrically. It might even be toast.

So I figured I'd grab another chime. Easy enough, and I have one, but the wiring diagram on it shows a straight run from the transformer to the button. Well I don't have that.

I am sure I am just overlooking something silly. If someone could help me I'd appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-13, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. You CAN have the direct run to the doorbell button. At your doorbell unit, where you have two sets of black and white wires, tie the two black wires together. This sends the power directly to the button. The other two wires should go on the terminals in the instructions. Let us know if that helps.

Old 06-12-13, 02:02 PM
That makes complete sense. I knew it would be obvious..

Old 06-13-13, 09:44 AM
It appears the original chime was also dead. I hooked everything up and did a test last night and it works perfectly.

Old 06-13-13, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
Great! Thanks for letting us know it you got it fixed.