outdoor outlet wiring help needed

Old 06-13-13, 06:00 AM
outdoor outlet wiring help needed

I picked up one of those outdoor GFCI waterproof outlets at HD the other day. It's the kind with the flip up cover, and it has a 20amp GFCI outlet with a toggle switch to turn it on/off. I am going to use it to feed a pool pump outside. In any case, the instructions that came with it have be confused as it relates to "grounding". Below is exactly what they say to do as it refers to the ground (I removed the instructions for the white/black wires as I'm ok with that part):

Secure supply ground wire into box ground lug and add a 4-inch pigtail to the other side of ground lug.
using wire nut connector, connect two #12 AWG ground wires, approximately 5 inches to ground lug pigtail.
connect ground wire (pigtail) to green ground terminal screw of the switch and one ground wire (pigtail) to the green ground terminal on the GFCI receptacle.

Seems simple. But here is where my hesitation comes into play. This box comes with 2 green wires already. One wire goes to ground on switch, other wire goes to ground on receptacle. Both wires terminate to a screw underneath the ground lug. This is not mentioned in the instructions, so it seems the ground is partially taken care of. Wouldn't all I need to do is to bring my supply wire ground into one side of the lug, create a pigtail for the other side and secure that to the screw that is currently holding down the 2 green wires? Or can I get by with simply feeding the feed ground into one side of the lug and leave the green wires alone? wasn't sure if the green wires going to the switch/receptacle have to come in contact with the supply ground wire, or as long as they were all grounded somewhere in the box, that it would suffice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 01:27 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would have all green wires meet at the ground lug.