Need help with converter and sump pump

Old 06-13-13, 07:18 AM
Question Need help with converter and sump pump

The previous owners of my house had an AIMS PWRIC1500W converter and battery hooked up to the sump pump in the basement, in case of a power outage. The way I understood the setup was that the battery/converter was plugged in "between" the wall outlet and the pump, so that the pump would run normally most of the time (power running through the converter still, just not using it) but then the battery would kick in when the power went out– so no human intervention required; it ran normally most of the time, then used the battery when needed.

I noticed one day that the pump wasn't coming "on" when our power was out and, with some tests, it looked like the converter had died. So I did some research and picked up a Cobra CPI1575, thinking it would be an appropriate replacement.

But this morning I went to replace the old AIMS with the new Cobra and discovered there isn't actually any way to run a power cord from the wall socket to the converter.

Shouldn't the converter be plugged into the wall, with the battery hooked up to the converter, and then the sump pump plugged into the converter? There are only three "female" outlets on the converter (no "males") so the pump can plug into it, but then there's no way for the converter to be plugged into the wall for continuous regular power like the AIMS was... It looks like I might've gotten a converter that's only meant for vehicles, not as a permanent fixture in a basement.

Can someone help? Am I missing how this should be working, or did I pick up the wrong replacement converter for what I'm trying to do? If so, can anyone recommend one that will work how I need it to?

Thanks,
Jamie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 07:42 AM
Group Moderator
The Aims unit is a complete package designed for sump use. It has the charger, invertor and controls all inside.

That Cobra unit is just an inverter only. You would still need a way to charge the batteries. On top of all that.... I'm not sure that Cobra unit would run a sump pump effectively. Many invertors, regardless of their rating, don't like to start things like h.d. motors.

Have you checked the batteries that the Aim unit is/was connected to ?

Old 06-13-13, 08:12 AM
Well crud. Thanks for verifying about the AIMS vs. Cobra; I thought I understood was I was getting, but I guess not!

In terms of actually running the pump, it seemed capable according to Cobra's chart and the model's numbers (wattage, etc.) vs. the AIMS, but I'm also not an expert, so...

(EDIT-) I just plugged the AIMS into the wall and it won't power on at all. I also tried hooking the battery up to the Cobra and the Cobra won't turn on with it attached... So unless I'm not testing them right, it looks like both the AIMS and the battery have died. Is there any better way I should be testing either/or?

If I'm looking for replacements for both, do you know if the same AIMS model is fine, or are there other "complete" brands/models that would work better, have better reliability, etc.?

Thanks for your help,
Jamie

Old 06-13-13, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
First I would check your AIMS unit for anything simple like a circuit breaker or fuse (the description says it has an internal fuse). Next I would confirm that the outlet on the wall has power. If the outlet has power I would use a volt meter to check for current coming out of the AC outlet on the AIMS and also check the DC output for the battery charging current.

Old 06-13-13, 11:09 AM
Group Moderator
Just to add to the above info.....it sounds like your batteries may be just bad. Many backup supplies will not even turn on without a proper voltage battery connected.

If you have a battery charger.....try charging the battery up first. Be sure to confirm it's 12v.