Double wide trailer house lights-Dim/flickering!

Old 06-14-13, 10:24 PM
Double wide trailer house lights-Dim/flickering!

My problem started June 13, 2013 around 4pm. I live in a double wide trailer house with 3 bedrooms 2 full baths. Around 4pm, the lights all of a sudden went dim in all the rooms of the house except for the living room and a bedroom that is right nest to the living room on the same side of the trailer. In both those rooms there seems to be nothing wrong at all. The lights are really dim in all other rooms and it is starting to effect my fridge. The freezer is starting to thaw due to the power flickering. Any suggestions on where I should start checking? I have a digital multimeter and a 3 prong receptacle checker. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-13, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

James..... I would start at the panel. Check every breaker from the screw terminal on the breaker to ground. They should all be +/- 120 VAC. Carefully check across the main circuit breaker for 240 VAC. Be careful with the probes.

You must get the fridge off that power ASAP. If you can't find the problem run a temporary HD extension cord to a working receptacle.

If all the breakers check out ok you'll need to assess the situation. How many circuits are losing power. Is it multiple receptacle circuits as well as lighting circuits.

If you have a list of what is on which circuit it may be very helpful to determine which circuits are involved.

Old 06-14-13, 10:56 PM
I just now put the fridge on a Heavy duty extension cord from the living room. I think I will wait for morning daylight so I do not fry myself in this process. I will provide more details after I get back behind the panel and get some readings. Thank you very much for your help.

Old 06-14-13, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome. I may not be online but there will someone able to help you.

Old 06-15-13, 04:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you can't find the problem with the screw connections, call your local power company's emergency number to have them come out and check everything from their service drip to your meter base. Quite often it can be the case of a dropped neutral or loose connection in your meter base, which you have no control over. It is a free service, and they must respond, so give them a call now.