Outdoor Wiring for Irrigation Controller

Old 06-16-13, 02:40 PM
Outdoor Wiring for Irrigation Controller

I am planning to relocate my irrigation controller to an outdoor area under my front porch. To that end I have purchased an Orbit 57095 outdoor enclosure. I have selected a location near to both my sprinkler valves as well as an existing 120V outdoor outlet. The existing outlet is in a standard weatherproof single-gang electrical box with 3/4" trade size threaded hubs in the top and bottom. My plan was to mount the enclosure for the irrigation controller a foot or two above the existing outlet and run flexible liquid tight conduit from the existing electrical box to the Orbit enclosure, and a second conduit for the valve wires down to a 90-degree sweep leading into a trench.

The Orbit box has two holes on the bottom: the smaller hole leads to the compartment where the GFCI duplex receptacle is located; the larger hole leads to the back side of the controller mounting plate.

The smaller hole is 0.793" in diameter, and the larger hole is 1.122". I looked up the dimensions of standard electrical conduit online and these hole sizes don't seem to correspond to any of the standard conduit sizes. The instructions for the enclosure don't mention the hole sizes or what sorts of fittings should connect up to them; I guess I'm expected to already know?

I went to Home Depot and bought an assortment of conduit fittings in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" trade sizes, but none seems to fit these holes correctly. If someone would tell me what sort of fittings I'm supposed to use with this thing I'd be most appreciative.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-13, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

A 1/2" connector uses a 7/8" hole which is .875"
A 3/4" connector uses a 1-1/8" hole which is 1.125"

If you've measured correctly then you may have to drill the smaller one out a bit to get to 7/8."
The larger hole is already the correct size for a 3/4" connector.

Old 06-16-13, 06:27 PM
You're right, a 3/4" box adapter does fit the larger hole. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll undoubtedly end up reaming out the smaller hole to allow a 1/2" fitting, but I'm still curious about what fittings this enclosure was designed to use.

Old 06-16-13, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
The installation instructions say to use conduit and conduit fittings.

There are no mysterious in between sizes. Possible they drilled an incorrect sized hole.