Found hidden junction box in ceiling

Old 06-16-13, 04:28 PM
Found hidden junction box in ceiling

Hello all,

I found a junction box in the ceiling when I was getting ready to install a recessed light. I believe that is a code violation. Would it be ok to place the two wires that are in the hidden junction box into the recessed light junction box? Is that considered accessible?

If not what else could I do about it? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-13, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sure the wires in that box have not been abondoned?
Can you just remount the box so it can be reached from the attic?

Old 06-16-13, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can put the wires into the new can box as long as you have enough cubic inch capacity in the box. Can boxes are considered accessible.

Old 06-16-13, 06:53 PM
The wires are not abandoned. They power the lights in the adjacent room. There is a second floor above this room so I cannot make it accessible through the attic.

Since the junction box is right next to the can light would it be ok to leave it the way it is? If not, do they make recessed lights with larger junction boxes? Usually they are not that big. Thanks.

Old 06-16-13, 08:02 PM
I think that would be up to the particular inspector whether he'd allow it or not. TECHNICALLY if it is just above or within 4" of the edge of the hole, and there is clearance to install/remove the cover, it should now be considered accessible - and here's why. If this can light had been a "new construction" style, they are designed so that the box (which is mounted to the frame/bracket) can be accessed by pulling the can out of the frame. So my opinion would be that yes, if it is within the same proximity to the hole as a "new construction" box would be, then I would consider it now accessible. Others will probably disagree.

However, hidden junctions are like cockroaches.. If you find one, it's a pretty safe bet that there are a bunch more that you haven't seen.

Old 06-16-13, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
I would agree with Matt, It would depend on the inspector. I have heard of some inspectors being OK with it, while others not. In your case, since you have found it behind the drywall, there would be more of a case to leave as close to the can opening as possible to make it accessible.

Old 06-16-13, 09:24 PM
Thanks all. I will try to reroute that wire in the future when I have some time. I am not a fan of having the junction box next to the can due to how difficult it would be for someone to find it, even if it is permissible.

Old 06-17-13, 10:53 AM
It's going to be nearly impossible to find whether you leave it in the existing box or if you move it to the can's box. The issue here is whether or not it can be officially called 'accessible' for purposes of inspection/code.