Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need help with breaker diagram for football concession stand

Old 06-17-13, 02:36 PM

Kinda new here...done some wiring in the past like my shed so i was hoping to get some confirmation im headed in the right path. I am trying to put in a new breaker panel for my sons football teams concession stand..current breaker is only 70A and the stand has all kinds of outages during a game. I am putting in a new 200A breaker with 2-30A single pole and 3-20A single pole. Was planning on using 12-2 non metallic wire. I included what i think the wiring should look like including the amp draw for each of the items. Any pointers would be a big help. This is on a shoestring budget (two local electricians wanted over a grand to do it and frankly not in our budget). Thanks in advance, Shawn

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-13, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First of all, there is a very good chance that you can not legally do this at all. This is probably a public building, and all work performed on public property must be done by a licensed electrician.

Second, for your own future reference, you can not put standard receptacles on a 30A circuit. 20A max. And the max current for #12 wire is 20A.

Third, also for your own future reference, circuits should be designed for no more than 80% continuous load. So your high-draw heating appliances like the hot water urn, the hot dog roller, etc should all be on their own breakers with dedicated 20A receptacles, because no matter how you group them, they will always exceed the 16A maximum design current of a 20A circuit.

Lighting should ALWAYS be on dedicated circuits, especially in situations like this. When an overloaded receptacle takes the lights out with it, that creates a dangerous situation with incredible liability issues. Always separate interior and exterior lighting, and always have a battery-backed emergency light near the panel, wired to whatever circuit serves the lights in its vicinity.

Old 06-17-13, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

In addition to Matt's well thought out reply and if it turns out that you personally do the work:

You can't just upgrade a panel size unless the service is big enough. There is a good chance the existing service won't support a 200 amp panel. It looks like a 100 amp panel would be of sufficient size for your needs with room for expansion.

Hot dog machine
Crockpot
Hot water urn
Coke merchandiser
Coffee maker
Pizza and pretzel warmer
Interior lighting with emergency light.
Exterior lighting.

Eight circuits needed now.