Too many wires in a box?

Old 06-19-13, 04:12 AM
Too many wires in a box?

I am tapping off a receptacle in my bedroom in order to put a new receptacle behind a flat screen tv. It's on a 15 amp breaker and the wire is 12 ga bx cable grounded to a 3x2x2.5 metal device box. Its in the middle of a run. I was just going to run a new piece of 12 ga Romex to the new box (I guess TEchnically I only need 14 ga but for some reason maybe long wire runs? Or That's what they did in the 1950s? 12 ga was used for everything in house so I figured I'd just stay consistent and use 12) I planned on using a receptacle that would allow me to backwire all 6 wires(the kind screw and clamp not backstab) Im fairly certain i can fit all the wires Without a problem but After doing a little research I realized that the max number of wires for that size box at that gauge is 5 wires. Clamps and all grounds count as 1 wire and the receptacle counts as 2 so therefore with the new wires the box total would be 10.
behind a flat screen tv. It's on a 15 amp breaker and the wire is 12 ga bx cable grounded to a 3x2x2.5 metal device box. Its in the middle of a run. I was just going to run a new piece of 12 ga Romex to the new box (I guess TEchnically I only need 14 ga but for some reason maybe long wire runs? Or That's what they did in the 1950s? 12 ga was used for everything in house so I figured I'd just stay consistent and use 12) I planned on using a receptacle that would allow me to backwire all 6 wires(the kind screw and clamp not backstab) Im fairly certain i can fit all the wires Without a problem but After doing a little research I realized that the max number of wires for that size box at that gauge is 5 wires. Clamps and all grounds count as 1 wire and the receptacle counts as 2 so therefore with the new wires the box total would be 10.

What should I do? I want to keep the old receptacle not just put a plate over it. Do I need to put a larger box if SO I guess it needs to be metal bc I have no ground just the bx cable?
What should I do? I want to keep the old receptacle not just put a plate over it. Do I need to put a larger box if SO I guess it needs to be metal bc I have no ground just the bx cable?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-13, 05:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes you will need a larger box. The box sounds like it is already overfilled before adding your new cable.

If your cable is not grounded the circuit should not be extended. Not all BX was listed as a grounding method. Look for a thin bond strip, possibly backwrapped in the spiral sheath.

It might be just as easy to run a new circuit and leave the old alone.

Old 06-19-13, 06:03 AM
The bx is grounded. I think a new circuit is going to be the easiest solution. Thanks.