one question {Subpanel Bonding}

Old 06-19-13, 05:50 AM
one question {Subpanel Bonding}

Seperated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ed-garage.html

I am doing a similar project except the welder. The main panel is grounded and the sub-panel in the detached garage is also grounded. Is it required by code to also bond the grounds of the two panels. Also what size ground wire would be required if necessary. I'm looking at cost and seeing if I can save a few dollars. Also the run to the garage from panel to panel is approx 75 feet do I need to worry about voltage loss? Thanks for your help.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-19-13 at 06:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-13, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums. I have started a thread for you. Please in the future no hijacking other member's posts. Too confusing who is answering what to whom.

Grounds are always bonded.

I'm looking at cost and seeing if I can save a few dollars.
What are the anticipated loads? You may not even need a subpanel. That would save you some money.

Old 06-19-13, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you asking about the ground size in the feeder or to ground rods? Are you thinking about a 60 amp feeder?

Old 06-21-13, 05:04 AM
sorry about the hi-jacking am new to ths whole question forum thing. I am running service from a main panel in house to detarched garage for use as a shop. Loads will be large 120v air compressor, refrigerator, overhead lighting (4 to 6 flourecent shop ;ights) Ourdoor lightin(on Building and at least 2 floodloghts for area lighting) at least 2 dedicated 20 amp circuits in addition to above loads. Garage is 25 by 30 concrete block with two garage doors future plans include door openers and small stick welder ( 220v less than 30 amps). I recieved most of my answers from "Electrical service / 60 amp sub-panel to new construction detached garage"

questions:If I use a 60 amp feeder breaker with 6gauge thwn what size ground wire would I need. This would be in conduit buried properly or shound I use UF cable in 6-3.
Do I need to be worried about voltage loss for a 75 foot run.

My friend has a similiar setup and everytime his compressor kicks on lights in the house dim. I am trying to prevent this.

Thanks for the help

Old 06-21-13, 01:04 PM
Do I need to be worried about voltage loss for a 75 foot run.
The size of the feeders depends on the anticipated total load, which also figures into voltage drop.

Enter your anticipated uses into a Residential Load Calculator to determine your total load. Post that back here and one of us can calculate the voltage drop and feeder size.

Old 06-21-13, 07:47 PM
My friend has a similiar setup and everytime his compressor kicks on lights in the house dim. I am trying to prevent this.
Your friends problem could easily be due to his service, service entrance wiring or the power company equipment and service drop. Some dimming in a residential installation is to be expected when a large load like an air compressor comes on. Did your friend notify his power company of the additional loads he was putting on the power companies system?

Old 06-21-13, 09:02 PM
One of my friends had the same problem. I cured it for him one day when I was over there to do some other work by moving the 2-pole breaker for his condensing unit from the 120V section of his split-bus panel to the 240V section.

emcvn71, what kind of panel do you have? Specifically, what is your service amperage, and what is the make and model of the panel?