One Room Power Outage: TV Room

Old 06-19-13, 06:51 AM
One Room Power Outage: TV Room

This is my first post on the boards and I can only hope I don't require this knowledge too often.

As the title suggests; my living room/tv room power went out last night. I was sitting watching the Heat-Spurs game, there was what I can only describe as a sound like a squirrel/something scratching at the outside wall and the entire room went out.

I checked the breaker; nothing slipped, I reset the breaker for said room anyway and still nothing. I thought that due to the recent weather (Southern NJ) that maybe it was a temp thing, tried again this morning with the same routine and the power is still out.

Any suggestions on what to do...? I'd rather not have to pay for an electrician if I don't have to.

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-13, 06:56 AM
Any GFCI receptacles on the circuit?

Old 06-19-13, 07:02 AM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like you need an exterminator. Check all the outlets for power & look at other rooms too. I would be strange that only that room is on that circuit. Something else should be affected as well. You could also, shut down your computers & reset all the breakers. You don't have a Power Century power strip, do you? JK

Old 06-19-13, 07:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here are some troubleshooting steps. In addition to these you may need to check continuity between the ends of the cable to see if something chewed through anything.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 06-19-13, 07:56 AM
I had a GFCI trip and cut the power to my downstairs den/TV room. It took a day to find the cause.

We had a ground lightning strike about 200 feet away from our house. Apparently the lightning hit the buried cable and traveled to our house and to the downstairs TV and pop something kicking off the power there. The breaker did not trip. The next day, my wife complained that she had no power at a kitchen back splash outlet and I found it was tripped, so I reset and it went back to normal. After that I went downstairs and had power downstairs, except that my TV was dead.

It turned out the downstairs room was daisy-chained off the last GFCI kitchen outlet. It was good excuse to replace the old box (a relic) with a flat screen that worked well without any problems for 3 years now.. No other TVs in the house were affected, so apparently the surge in the cable line was not enough to trip those sets, the one closest to the cable entry just could not handle the surge.

Dick

Old 06-19-13, 08:51 AM
I checked all of the outlets.

Negative.

Old 06-19-13, 08:54 AM
@ Pulpo and Concrete:

I've checked every single outlet and lighting fixture in the house; it is contained in this one room as far as I can tell.

I'm going to set up an appt with an exterminator just to make sure one of the neighbor's cats didn't decide to snack on anything he shouldn't have.

Old 06-19-13, 07:09 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I doubt it would be a cat. A squirrel or a raccoon would be more like it.

Old 06-19-13, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Have you moved any backstabs to the screws and removed and inspected all wire nuts? Do you have a multimeter (preferably analog) or a test light (but not a non contact tester)?