Panel and Subpanel Questions

Old 06-20-13, 07:58 AM
Panel and Subpanel Questions

I have a few questions regarding installing a new subpanel in my shed that will service new pool equipment.

What I have:
100 AMP Siemens panel in the home, about 7 years old. (currently supplying electric dryer, AC unit, electric stove and standard lights and receptacles). Furnace and HW heater are GAS.
The subpanel I am putting in the shed is an 80 AMP Intermatic PE30000 pool enclosure.
Off the subpanel I will be running a Hayward 1-speed, 1 HP pool pump at 230volts. Hayward 95,000 BTU heat pump. Receptacles for salt system and a transformer for low voltage pool lights.

Questions:
-I planned on installing a 60 AMP 2-pole breaker in the home panel to feed the subpanel using direct burial 6/3 cable. Based on the brief description of my loads do you see any issues with this? Iím hoping to avoid having to upgrade my home panel to 200 AMP.

-My heat pump plate states that a 60 AMP breaker be usedÖ if Iím supplying the subpanel with a 60 AMP breaker from my home panel would putting a 60 AMP in the subpanel for the heat pump be an issue?
I know that you should always use what the manufacturer recommends but other neighbors around me have larger same brand heat pumps and they all have 50 AMP breakers feeding their heat pumps in their subpanels.

Thanks!

Last edited by thelemonmaker; 06-20-13 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
using direct burial 6/3 cable.
Pools must have an insulated ground wire. You can't use cable because the ground isn't insulated. You need to use conduit with individual wires.

if Iím supplying the subpanel with a 60 AMP breaker from my home panel would putting a 60 AMP in the subpanel for the heat pump be an issue?
What is the full load amps of the heat pump? What is the total load of other equipment that will be running at the same time.