Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Planning inspections for total rewire of owner occupied home, and other Q's

Planning inspections for total rewire of owner occupied home, and other Q's

Old 06-20-13, 08:46 AM
Question Planning inspections for total rewire of owner occupied home, and other Q's

Hi everyone.

Am I going to need a ton of inspections to total rewire my house while I live in it?

During rough-in as I understand it no outlets or switches are installed. So first, I would have to install/rework some circuits while leaving the others live, get the first rough-in inspection; then finish those circuits and rework the others, requiring a second rough-in inspection; then finish it up and get the final inspection. Is that right? So at least three inspections assuming everything goes well?

During installation, I expect in many cases I will be able to run wire through existing wall without opening it up. Will I need to open it up anyway to attach the NMB to the frame at intervals? Will I need to open it up anyway for the rough-in inspection?

Thanks for the advice. I realize I may need to ask my inspector for details, but I want to make sure I'm asking the right questions when I do.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-13, 10:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have the walls open, you'll need to get a rough inspection when the cables and boxes are installed, then a final inspection once it's all complete.

If you're just replacing/adding receptacles/switches without doing much drywall work (other than the occasional hole to pull the wire), you may be able to get away with just a final inspection. You'll have to confirm with your inspector though. He will still want to see the main panel open most likely and will probably want to confirm that you have the correct circuits in the bath/kitchen/etc. Around here, one final inspection would be the case. But it all depends on your inspector.

I would suggest going into the office during their open hours and sit down and talk to him about it. Most inspectors are helpful and friendly as long as you're friendly and have your ducks in a row. He will also be able to tell you what if any plans are required.

Will I need to open it up anyway to attach the NMB to the frame at intervals?
If you're not taking down the drywall, you'll use remodel boxes that have cable clamps integrated into them. You don't need to secure the cable in the walls if you're not removing the drywall.

Old 06-20-13, 12:10 PM
Here, for rewiring of occupied areas, only the final is required. As already stated if walls etc. are opened leave them open until the inspection.

Old 06-20-13, 05:28 PM
Thank you Zorfdt and Arg for the help.

I called my inspector this morning and he said there would need to be at least two inspections and I was too cowed to ask why. Could be he wants a rough-in, could be he just assumes there will be things that need fixed after the first run-through -- I'll let you know.

Old 06-21-13, 08:02 AM
Unless there's an issue of misunderstanding, I have not found it productive to question inspectors. (There is usually an appeal process for blatant misinterpretations, but authoritarianism is the rule in code enforcement, and unless you are licensed or have licensed witnesses you can forget about winning in front of a public appeals board.)

I was prepared to operate most of the house with temporary wiring (extension cords run from previously-rewired areas) but ultimately that was unnecessary. The greater good is probably served by having just one inspection, since temporary wiring is likely to be more risky than permanent wiring, but for whatever reason they don't usually ask me.