Breaker Panel door...can i get a different kind?

Old 06-23-13, 12:22 PM
Breaker Panel door...can i get a different kind?

I have an 'exterior' type of breaker panel installed inside my house. There is nothing wrong with it, but it has a 'rain proof' cover that lifts UP and sits horizontally while you work on your breakers. I think its a Siemens. Is it possible to replace this cover with a side opening type that is more in line with 'interior' type stuff?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-13, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
I would severely doubt it. You would have to remove the existing cover and use it's part number that you'll find on a sticker and the panel model which would be found on another sticker inside the panel.

Some of us are electricians and recognize box styles and covers. So if you wanted to take a few pics....maybe one with panel cover off....that would be very helpful.

Old 06-23-13, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Normally a 3R rated exterior panel has a lip over the top of the panel to keep rain out. I do not think an interior cover will fit under the lip. Also holes would need to be drilled and tapped for the cover screws.

Old 06-23-13, 01:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A front openinig door will not work for an external situation. I would have to look at exactly how many times you actually have to access the breaker panel. In 12 years, I have been in mine 2 times, so I would think it would not be beneficial even if you could do it.

Old 06-23-13, 02:01 PM
Since exterior panel enclosures are made as complete units with no knockouts and the overhanging top plate, among other features, there really isn't a separate back box that you can mount an interior deadfront on. What is the make and model of your panel?

Old 06-23-13, 03:02 PM
Thanks a ton! I think you are right, not worth the cost to change it. What is the 'code' for leaving it as is and installing a wood type cabinet over it with full access? We basically want to dress it up and cover it. I would leave the metal lid on it as is.

BTW, it is a Siemens W4242ML1225CU Series F Type 3R

Old 06-23-13, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Pretty sure there is no problem as long as you don't need any tools or have to move furniture to access the panel itself. Nothing else can be stored in the "cabinet" so no shelves or anything. I'd also make it easy to remove the "cabinet" just in case it's necessary. As is always recommended...contact your local AHJ (authority having jurisdiction) on whether it's acceptable.

Old 06-23-13, 03:28 PM
Also, make sure your door has ample room to be lifted to horizontal. Incidentally, the model number you gave us is a 225 amp box with 42 circuits, main lug (no main breaker). Are you sure of the number?

Old 11-20-13, 07:33 PM
Just saw your post. The number is right. What you describe is the panel exactly. 42 slots. It has knockouts. Maybe it's not exterior type but its a pain in the ass to work on because the door flips up over your head. Also, it's not a flush mount. Just wanted a different door that opened to the side for ease of use. One of the panels has a broken door such that it won't stay up.

Old 11-21-13, 04:43 AM
Not sure if this would apply, but since the last post I had a client who wanted to hide the crud from the utilities on their patio (covered above). I had to check with our local electric company, and although I knew the meters were read electronically, I thought it was WiFi or something. Actually the meter readings are sent to them via the electric lines, so occluding the meter was not a problem, as long as I left it in an accessible state. We will paint, etc. later, but this is what they wanted, and you can see the ugly on the wall.

Name:  crowley box1.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  crowley box2.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  27.8 KB

Old 11-21-13, 06:03 AM
I was really hoping to simply replace the cover with something more practical for indoor use since that's where these are. Figured Siemens of all people would have more than one option for covers but I can't find anything. I'll just leave it. I'm not in it much.

Old 11-21-13, 08:25 AM
I was really hoping to simply replace the cover with something more practical for indoor use since that's where these are. Figured Siemens of all people would have more than one option for covers but I can't find anything.
You probably have a NEMA 3R panel. The panel box is entirely different from a NEMA 1 indoor panel. No manufacturer makes an optional indoor trim/door for a 3R panel.