Using 12-2 or 12-3 UF-B

Old 06-24-13, 08:53 AM
Using 12-2 or 12-3 UF-B

We want to put an outdoor light and receptacle on the side of our house using a new circuit. We want to use romex from the breaker box (inside the laundry room) to the exit point through the wall to the outside, by installing a junction box. At that point, run outdoor wire outside to another junction box where the light will be....then drop straight down using conduit to the receptacle box.

Can the run from the first box (exiting the laundry room) to the 2nd box (light) simply be attached to the bottom of the rafters high up under the eaves using the flexible, outdoor UF or UF-B cable? It is protected from sun and rain etc but turns too many corners getting there even thought it's only about 40' It would be so much simpler to brad this wonderful pvc coated flex cable up close to the house at the base of the rafters, rather than using conduit and and all those connection boxes.

Even thoough it is only a 40' run across the eaves from box to box, it requires 5 corner turns - and that grey flex cable would make this so much easier. I would use hard conduit and individual wires dropping down to the outdoor receptacle because it is in arm's reach and needs protection while the UF cable would be protected under the eaves. The description of using this kind of outdoor cable clearly covers burying it (can't because of a concrete path which circles the area) but never actually states that any portion of a run can be exposed - although it states it is UV protected and waterproof. (we are using 12 gauge for a table saw or whatever might be used at the receptacle - treating it like a small appliance circuit with GFI)

Last edited by robynadair; 06-24-13 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-13, 09:09 AM
my own update

I forgot to mention we live in coastal San Diego where the weather is mild and we get very little rain. We do have a coastal - salt-air - type climate.

Old 06-24-13, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I followed you until you mentioned "eaves". Running any non metallic cable on the exterior of the house is not "protected". Smurf pipe is easy to use, but gray pvc and individual 12 gauge THWN wires inside will make the job so much easier.

Old 06-24-13, 02:22 PM
why is it UV rated

I guess I was trying to convey I didn't want to have to piece together all that grey pvc etc. The UF and UF-B is listed on the web as well as in the store as being UV and sunlight protected......so if you can't use it as an exterior run (only in the ground) why would they do this? I have seen this same wire used in concrete foundations where they come up in the center of the floor area to put in an island counter....just like burying - no sun there. So I'm wondering why call it exterior cable (with or without the B for burying) if you can't use it? Why make it sunlight resistant?

Old 06-24-13, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sunlight resistance has nothing to do with the protection I am referring to. Physical abuse is the reason it must be in conduit. Yeah, I know it is 8' above grade, but it doesn't meet the code requirements of being "protected". PVC conduit isn't that difficult to piece together and attach to the wall, and it can be painted to match the house if needed. Smurf pipe would be a PITA to paint, IMO.

Old 06-24-13, 04:42 PM
I would run Type NM through the attic instead but yes, you can run UF-b exposed outdoors where it is not subject to physical damage if you want to.

Subject to approval by your inspector.

Old 06-25-13, 03:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Side note: the B in UF-B or NM-B designates the temperature rating of the insulation. It has nothing to do with burial.

Old 06-25-13, 05:07 PM
I have seen this same wire used in concrete foundations where they come up in the center of the floor area to put in an island counter....just like burying -
From the description of what you have seen, it was not used properly if it had concrete poured over it unless it was in conduit.

Old 06-25-13, 07:41 PM
It may well have had a conduit cut flush with the concrete.....I just remember we removed an island counter in our kitchen and it was flat, grey, ribbon wiring that was used to bring power to the island. The island was a tiled counter with no water, so I'm not actually sure why it was used.

I appreciate all the comments....I've never heard of smurf pipe before, so you learn new things every day using these forums. Thanks for all the comments.

Old 06-25-13, 08:26 PM
I just remember we removed an island counter in our kitchen and it was flat, grey, ribbon wiring that was used to bring power to the island. The island was a tiled counter with no water, so I'm not actually sure why it was used.
What does the presence or absence of water have to do with the type of wiring used?

Old 06-26-13, 04:59 PM
It may well have had a conduit cut flush with the concrete
That would kind of defeat the purpose of conduit, wouldn't it.

just remember we removed an island counter in our kitchen and it was flat, grey, ribbon wiring that was used to bring power to the island. The island was a tiled counter with no water, so I'm not actually sure why it was used.
Well, I can tell you. It was used because it was under the slab although that was a code violation. Just another hack job uncovered.