Help Wiring a Sound Bar

Old 06-24-13, 10:56 AM
Help Wiring a Sound Bar

I just completed hanging a 46" LED TV to a swing-type wall mount. Installed a recessed outlet and pass through for cables behind the screen. Easy going. Looks great.

My challenge now is mounting a Samsung sound bar. I would like to completely hide the power cord and the optical cable. Instructions call for the soundbar to be several inches (at least 2 inches) away from the TV and not to mount it flush with the unit.

I understand that there are brackets that you can buy to mount the soundbar to the TV itself (which I could then run the wires behind the brackets), but I don't care for the look of this and I think it would look strange to have the soundbar floating with the TV when it is tilted out on its mount.

So how do I get electric to the soundbar if I don't want cords to show?

One option is to install another outlet. However, the sound bar is thin. Only 2.6 inches high. I've searched for a single plug recessed outlet with a small footprint, but the few that are out there seem to need to be placed inside a standard 14 cubic inch box, which would show for my installation.

This leads me to think that hard-wiring the soundbar cord would be the best approach. I wanted to check here to see if there are any code issues? Since the soundbar is mounted and not temporary or movable, this should be fine?

I have a wiring question. So with the Romex wiring there is the hot wire (black), the neutral wire (white), and the copper ground. When cutting off the plug to the soundbar, I will have the a neutral and hot wire. What do I do with the ground wire from the house electricity? The cord will not have a ground.

I figured that I would use a Carlon 1-Gang 8 cu. in. Old Work Flanged Shallow Box from Home Depot, find a wall plate for it to run the soundbar cord inside and splice the cord wires to house electric with plastic wire connectors. But this is a plastic box would not have grounding capability. Should I just ignore the ground and snip it off?

My second question is: Would it also be OK to run the optical cable through the same box? This would pass down to the cable box opening behind the TV. I would think no problem.

The other solution to the cord issue would be to run the soundbar cord through the wall and plug into the same outlet that I installed for the tv, but I would think that this would be a code violation even though it's running through a wall without insulation.

Thanks much for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-13, 11:02 AM
I'd probably run the power cable through the wall and plug it into the outlet behind the TV. This way, if/when you have to replace the sound bar, you just need to fish the power cord through the wall instead of hardwiring.
For the Optical cable, it's not affected by electro-magnetic interference, so it can be run along power cables. Just watch not to bend the optical cable too tightly.

Old 06-24-13, 11:32 AM
Appreciate the the quick reply Mike!

Old 06-24-13, 12:27 PM
Alternatively for the power, have you considered installing a standard wall plug sideways?

Old 06-24-13, 01:34 PM
No, you may not, by code, run the power cord through the wall to the receptacle behind the TV.

I would mount a rectangular black receptacle with a black cover plate horizontally behind the soundbar. Nearby, I would mount a cable trim ring with a cover plate that the cable could come through. Alternatively, you could mount a receptacle that's close to the wall color and use paintable covers.

Cutting the plug off the power cord for the soundbar will void its UL listing, and that cord is not rated for use inside a splice box.