120v switch: Pls help ID it

Old 06-25-13, 02:40 PM
Question 120v switch: Pls help ID it

Moved in about 3mos ago (30yr old home). Was up in the attic looking around and found this unusual (to me) rocker switch located near the access hole. Has a row of green indicators that move with rocker movement. No obvious function. Anyone know what this switch might be used for?
TIA

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-13, 03:48 PM
Looks like a fancy dimmer switch
Do you perhaps have a whole house fan? If so it may be a special switch (Fan motor rated) and not a dimmer switch
If you can cut the power to the switch and pull the switch out and post the make and model of the switch and a picture of all of the wires in the box. Also see what is not working in the attic or the house when you cut the power to the switch

Old 06-25-13, 04:14 PM
Anyone know what this switch might be used for?
Where is the other end of each of the three cables that enter the box?

Old 06-25-13, 04:38 PM
Good questions...I attempted to trace the cables but there is little clearance in the attic and they all disappear into walls or under insulation. Major effort to trace with more precision.

My first guess was some sort of dimmer switch. I will attempt to cut power to it and see if there is anything that doesn't work, and get info off the switch. The home has been remodeled a couple times and it may be a remnant of an earlier remodel. There is a light in the attic and my guess was it controlled the light since it was located adjacent to the attic hatch. It doesn't.

Old 06-25-13, 04:45 PM
There is a light in the attic and my guess was it controlled the light since it was located adjacent to the attic hatch. It doesn't.
Does that light have a good bulb in it? That location is exactly where most attic lights get switched. Do you have a powered attic ventilator?

Old 06-25-13, 05:40 PM
No powered attic vent. The bulb didn't change intensity with the switch and I really don't understand why they'd put a dimmer on an attic light.

Old 06-25-13, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
That location would make more sense if you had an X-10 remote system. Actually maybe the previous owner had some type of remote system to control that dimmer.

Like circuitbreaker mentioned.....if you were to pull it out of the box you could see what it is.

FYI..... I have a dimmer on my outside floodlights.

Old 06-25-13, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That looks like a timer switch. You can set it to time out after periods like 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes etc. Prevent a light from being left on.

Old 06-26-13, 03:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going out on a limb, but as mentioned earlier, it could be a RF dimmer/timer, controlled via a remote in a living area. I couldn't guess as to why someone would install one in the attic, however. The mystery continues. The light in the attic isn't a cfl, is it?

Old 06-26-13, 04:21 AM
That's a timer or countdown switch.

Perhaps Insteon brand?