New outlet w/Knob & tube wiring

Old 06-26-13, 04:35 PM
New outlet w/Knob & tube wiring

Greetings:

I would like to remove/replace a 15 amp outlet that is currently supplied with power from knob and tube wiring. I want to replace it with a GFCI outlet and use the load side to add another outlet downstream. Are there any special instructions or issues I should be aware of?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ungrounded circuits should not be extended. It would be better to run a new grounded circuit and install the receptacle on it.

Old 06-26-13, 06:33 PM
The provision in the NEC for installing a GFCI receptacle as the first receptacle in a circuit is to allow for the installation of 3-slot receptacles on the other existing receptacles on that circuit. It is not to allow the circuit to be extended to new receptacles.

Old 06-26-13, 08:20 PM
This outlet is on the 3rd floor. It would be quite a job to run new wire to that location. I guess I should leave the K & T alone. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-26-13, 08:50 PM
This outlet is on the 3rd floor.
And the panel is in the basement? Is there an accessible attic above the 3rd floor? If so, can you pull new cable to there, or drop it to the basement from there, and then run the cable down the walls to replace the K&T and add new receptacles?