Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Circuit - Switch controlled Split receptacle & light at start run receptacle seq

Circuit - Switch controlled Split receptacle & light at start run receptacle seq

Old 06-26-13, 08:29 PM

Ok, I need a little help. This is my first new construction wiring project: My basement finish. Most of the info I need is in books or I can extrapolate enough. But this circuit has me stumped. I am trying to wire a circuit with a switch controlled split receptacle and light at start run of a receptacle sequence. I can't find this in any wiring diagrams. Any one sure how I can do this the right way?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Name:  Cuircuit.jpg
Views: 5466
Size:  13.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-13, 09:21 PM
Welcome to the forums!

It looks like you're planning to bring the power from the panel to the receptacle that you want to half-switch, and that you wan't to control both the light and the upper switched half of the duplex receptacle with the same switch. If so:

First of all, I'd install two switches. You don't have to, but you'll probably be a lot happier with it if you so. Either way the wiring is the same.

You don't say what size the circuit is. Since it's a receptacle circuit I'll assume 20A and talk about using #12 AWG wiring. If it's a 15A circuit use 14 gauge.

Run a piece of 12-3/G between the split receptacle box and the switch box. In that receptacle box, break off the tab between the two brass screws on the "hot" side of the receptacle. Splice the three grounds together, bond the box if it's metal, and connect the receptacle to ground. Splice the three white wires together and add a pigtail of the same size white wire. Terminate that pigtail to one of the silver screws on the silver, or neutral, side of the receptacle. Tighten both silver screws. Splice the three black wires together and add a pigtail of the same size black wire. Terminate that pigtail to the lower brass screw. Terminate the red wire to the upper brass screw.

In the switch box, twist all of the ground wires together, bond the box if it's metal, and connect each switch to ground. Splice the two white wires together and push them to the back. Splice two black pigtails to the black wire coming from the receptacle and connect one pigtail to each switch. Connect the red wire from the receptacle to the second terminal on one switch. Connect the black wire from the light to the second terminal on the other switch.