Changing from a standard outlet to a 6-15 outlet

Old 06-29-13, 07:52 PM
Changing from a standard outlet to a 6-15 outlet

I have an 18000 btu window AC that I just bought but I didn't realize that it used a different plug. It's a 6-15 plug instead of the standard plug. Can I just simply take out the standard outlet and wire in a 6-15 outlet or is this a project that is way more complicated? I plan on having the AC upstairs in a bonus room and only running it when it is the only thing turned on in that room. Please use simple terms when replying... I really don't know much about the husband knows more than I do about this and would be doing the work but we don't know anything about switching out outlets. Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-13, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to say......it's way more complicated.

The 6-15 is a 240volt 20amp. recepatacle.
You would need to run a dedicated 240 volt line to that air conditioner.

Name:  240v AC receptacle  6-15.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  31.5 KB

Old 06-29-13, 08:34 PM
Group Moderator
A 18000 Btu air conditioner is way to large for a single room. When I was younger I cooled a 5 room house with one. Take it back and get an 8000 Btu or 10000 Btu AC. Then you won't have to change receptacles.

Old 06-29-13, 08:36 PM
You can take out the standard receptacle and replace it with this one if the receptacle you're replacing is on a 20 amp circuit, wires with #12 AWG wire, and is the only receptacle on that circuit. You will also need to replace the existing single-pole circuit breaker with a 2-pole 240V 20 amp breaker.

If the receptacle you're planning to replace doesn't meet all of those conditions you will need to install a new circuit from the panel for your 240V window unit, as PJ suggested.

It will probably cost you as much or more to have an electrician run that new circuit as you paid for the A/C unit. I would take it back and get a 120V unit that's the right size for that room, as Ray suggested.

If you measure the room before you go back to the store - all three measurements - they should be able to tell you which one you need.

Old 06-29-13, 09:21 PM
Well the bonus room is open to the rest of the house... its kinda an open loft feel. Taking it back isn't an option since we got it at a garage sale. Good thing it was only 80 dollars and I can probably sell it for a lot more. Out of curiosity does anyone know a ball park number for how much an electrician would charge to make this work? We don't have that outlet as a dedicated circuit and the breaker is in the garage.

Old 06-29-13, 09:33 PM
No way to give you an estimate from here, if we even did that. I couldn't even give you an estimate of what I would charge without looking at it in person. And no, that's not an offer to drive to Houston to look at it!

Old 06-30-13, 05:27 AM
Group Moderator
If you only paid $80 for it and it works I'd put in the Greensheet or local equivalent for $150 and let someone bargain you down to $100. In this heat there will be a lot of takers. Just mounting that AC in a window is going to be a real PITA so selling makes more sense.

But if you really want to keep it it is a good backup for when the central AC goes out. Putting in a new circuit can be a do it yourself job but we need details to help you. I assume this is a newer house is the breaker box on the outside of the house and is there an unfinished attic above the bonus room?

Last edited by ray2047; 06-30-13 at 05:58 AM.