Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Newbie here - Need help with phone wire connection with Verizon jct box

Newbie here - Need help with phone wire connection with Verizon jct box

Old 07-02-13, 08:48 AM
Smile Newbie here - Need help with phone wire connection with Verizon jct box

I have Verizon DSL/Phone service in my (new construction) home. The electrician wired (and now disappeared) 6 phone jacks in star topology. For now he just activated one phone jack in the house by connecting to the Verizon box. I do not want to pull all 6 wires out to the Verizon box outside the house and looking for (something similar to a 8-port switch/router I use for CAT6 cables) some ideas how to do it.

Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-13, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Will these CAT6 cables to be used for voice or data communications?

Old 07-02-13, 01:39 PM
I - we - installed a punch-down block for our voice lines. The data lines go through a switch/hub.

Old 07-02-13, 02:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you just plug the router into the jack or are you looking to use other cables in the wall as other network jacks?

Old 07-03-13, 04:23 AM
The blue pair of wires is usually the only pair used for a residential phone. One of the wires is blue (or blue with a white stripe) and the other is white with a blue stripe. All you need to do is remove the outer jacket and strip back about 1/2-inch of insulation on all of the wires. Connect all of the blue wires together, and connect all of the white w/blue striped wires together. Gray wire nuts will work fine to hold them together.

If you want a more permanent, better-looking solution, use a 66 block or structured media solution.

Note this is for phone and DSL-to-modem only. It won't work for data connections from the modem or router to computers.