Help required with my pond and pump wiring… (plug)

Old 07-12-13, 04:09 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Help required with my pond and pump wiring… (plug)

I inherited a raised walled pond with my house last year. The previous owner was a keen gardener and had a pump, fish and plants in there etc. He took the pump and fish with him and I didn’t really do anything with it.

I have over the past few days cleared it out, scrubbed it and now have an empy pond with liner. I also bought a pump – ‘Hozelock Easyclear 6000’ to install. It came today and has no plug.

Basically there is a covered twin outdoor socket between the pond and the rockery. All the wiring goes under the floor into the conservatory. Surely all I have to do is attach a plug and plug it in following instructions?

I’m quite competent in wiring on a plug but want to make sure I use the right kind (does there need to be a specific ‘outdoor’ kind? I also wondered if there was anything else I needed to know?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you

Old 07-12-13, 04:14 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
What country are you in? What is the voltage and amperage of the circuit at the outdoor outlet, 120 volt would be common in USA. What voltage is the pump motor rated for? How many amps does it require? Does the outdoor outlet have a weatherproof in-use cover, sometimes called a bubble cover? How is the pump motor to be controlled? Is there a control panel or box or does it have a switch?

Old 07-12-13, 04:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm in the Uk. The pump spec is;

Maximum Flow Rate: 1700lph (374gph)
UVC: 9w
Pump: 40w
Max Fountain Height: 1.6m (5ft 3inch)
Recommended Waterfall Height: 0.6m (2ft)
Cable Length: 10m

This is a link to the manual for the pump; http://www.hozelock.com/uploads/pdf/...-9000%20UK.pdf

The cover is waterproof, plastic. Once the plug is in the cover then snap locks shut. I don't really know about the amperage ate the outdoor outlet.

Old 07-12-13, 05:15 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I’m quite competent in wiring on a plug but want to make sure I use the right kind (does there need to be a specific ‘outdoor’ kind? I also wondered if there was anything else I needed to know?
This is primarily a North American site, but I'll make a stab to say the pump motor is 220 volt and relatively low amperage. I did see where the power cord should have a brown live wire, a blue neutral and a green/yellow earth. My best recollection is that this is a 220 volt circuit (don't hold me to that, please). Your power source needs to be GFCI protected (USA terminology), I believe that would be a RCD in the UK.

My only suggestion comes from the manual.

CONSULT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN
OR LOCAL AUTHORITY IF IN ANY
DOUBT ABOUT WIRING TO THE MAINS
SUPPLY.
Perhaps someone else will come along yet this evening or this weekend with a bit more knowledge of the electrical systems in UK than I have. Be sure to check back over the weekend.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: