Whole house surge protector in finished wall

Old 07-04-13, 01:36 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house surge protector in finished wall

I have a Siemens panel that is in an older house. It is in a finished wall. I saw a thread from a few years back on this subject but it didn't answer my question. I don't want to have to cut the wall out. Is there a solution for this problem? Is there some videos online to show how to mount in a finished wall? Any how to sites? Everything I am finding people are putting them throughout the side or bottom.
Old 07-04-13, 01:56 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
At my sister's house I was able to mount the CHSP Ultra inside the panel. The Square D Homeline panel had a huge wire space below the bus bars and I had plenty of room for the mounting. Add in a plexiglass-covered window to observe the indicator lights and it made a slick installation. Probably not kosher but...
Old 07-04-13, 02:12 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 15,364
Received 141 Votes on 125 Posts
Different protectors have different mounting styles. You want the leads as short as possible so the protector is normally mounted through a knockout.
Old 07-05-13, 07:50 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,095
Received 152 Votes on 135 Posts
I have not seen many flush mount surge protectors, but they are available. Try starting your search here with one from Intermatic.

Old 07-06-13, 06:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,211
Received 298 Votes on 266 Posts
Yup, there are flush mount options available:

Leviton 51120-1 Panel Mount Whole Home Surge Protector and Supressor - Smarthome


Leviton 51110-1 120/240 Volt Panel Protector 4-Mode Protection, Light Commercial/Residential Grade, in NEMA 4X Enclosure, White - Amazon.com

(I have a model similar to the second link... that was the price-point I was looking for in a whole house protector)
Old 07-06-13, 08:50 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,095
Received 152 Votes on 135 Posts
If you don't want to open the wall at all, there are models to fit your panel that just plug onto the busbars like a circuit breaker. If your panel is full, Siemens makes their's to replace two single pole breakers and provide two narrow single pole breakers all in one unit.

Siemens 20 Amp 6.5 in. Whole House Surge Protected Circuit Breaker-QSA2020SPDP at The Home Depot

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: