Arc Fault Breaker Pigtail

Old 07-05-13, 10:45 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arc Fault Breaker Pigtail

I am rewiring my upstairs. The panel is Square D Homeline. Do I have to leave those neutral pigtails on the arc fault breakers their original length or can I straighten them out and cut them to a proper length so they won't be crowding up the box?

Old 07-05-13, 12:04 PM
Straight and shorter is fine.

If this is not the main panel or first panel from the meter, the wires only go to the neutral bus, not the ground bus. And the neutral bus must be isolated from the grounds and panel.

Old 07-05-13, 12:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Both Square D and Cutler-Hammer have a panel design that does not require the neutral pigtails for the AFCI and GFI breakers.

Old 07-05-13, 01:46 PM
H
Thanks for the answers. This is not the first panel so the neutral and ground are not bonded. The AFCI breaker sticks out and covers up the neutral bar. I am putting 8 of these AFCI breakers in the panel. Those twisted pigtails sure are using up a lot of space on the sides of the panel. Straightening them out and cutting them to length sure will make the job neater.

Old 07-05-13, 06:54 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I am putting 8 of these AFCI breakers in the panel. Those twisted pigtails sure are using up a lot of space on the sides of the panel.
Just imagine what a mess you'd have if this was a new house and this was the main panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: