Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding switch to pull chain ceiling fan and light, wireless?

Old 07-06-13, 04:01 PM

Hello-

I have a hard wired ceiling fan and light combo that uses a pull chain for both. There is a dual gang box on the wall with one switch that controls the recessed lights in the room (this was added recently) and an empty spot for another switch. The power to the room goes directly to that gang box. And the ceiling fan/light are on the same circuit, but there is no wire for a switch.

I want to add a switch for the fan/light combo. I have been looking at the wireless switches but am unsure how they work. This one for example:

Lutron Maestro 1 Amp Multi-Location 7 Speed Combination Fan and Light Control - White-MA-LFQHW-WH at The Home Depot

Will this work for what I am trying to do? The instructions make it seem like you need a wire going from an existing switch to the fan/light.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-13, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.....the Maestro system requires the power to come from an existing switch location.

All is not lost. Most fan companies offer a replacement/universal wireless control unit for their fan. The wireless receiver mounts in the fan's canopy.

If you can give us at least a make and maybe a model number we could help you figure out which control to use.

Can't find the model number....maybe you could shoot us a picture of the fan.

Old 07-07-13, 08:19 AM
Awesome, thanks. It's just a Hunter 5 minute fan. We wanted to use Maestro since that is what all the other controls are. I was confused because the instructions made it sound like there had to be an existing wire in the box directly connected to the fan. It makes reference to "switched wire" in the instructions.

Any product suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by safetybar; 07-07-13 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-08-13, 01:38 PM
recomendations?

Does anyone have any product recomendations? The only thing I've found that appears to do what I need is a Hunter wireless switch that is battery operated. However, it got awful reviews everywhere that sells it.

Old 07-08-13, 02:29 PM
Which Hunter remote is that? They make 5 or 6 different ones.

I've always had good results with the Hunter controls I've installed, and they're my go-to supplier. The reviews I saw balanced to the positive.

If there's no wiring between the ceiling box and the switch box, how hard would it be to install it? How did you run the wire for the new recessed lights?

Old 07-08-13, 05:19 PM
This is the one I'm looking at:
Hunter 27186 Fan/Light Wall Mount Control - Amazon.com

I'd like to avoid having to use a battery at the switch seeing as that I have power there (just not directly linked to the fan). Also, the switch next to it is a Decora, so the new switch would have to fit into the screwless double wallplate.

The recessed lights were installed and had wire fished through the walls to the switch. When I asked for a wire from the ceiling fan the electrician suggested we just use a wireless switch to save money (also there was a major blizzard forming and I think he just wanted to get out of there before 8 feet of snow fell from the sky). Everything is on the same circuit, just there is no direct connection from the fan junction box to the switch box.

Old 07-08-13, 05:34 PM
Do you have access to the space above the ceiling?

Old 07-08-13, 05:58 PM
That's a "Two-wire fan/light wall mount control." (From the description in your link. It isn't a wireless control.

Here are the Hunter wireless controls.

Old 07-09-13, 08:03 AM
no access

I may have copied the wrong link. I don't have any access above the ceiling without cutting some holes. I thought there would be a simple decora style switch (that would fit in a gang box with the screwless plates) that would work wirelessly with a receiver in the canopy.

Old 07-10-13, 06:39 PM
I thought there would be a simple decora style switch (that would fit in a gang box with the screwless plates) that would work wirelessly with a receiver in the canopy.
There are probably several rectangular, or Decora(TM), wireless fan and light remote controls. If you want one that also takes a snap-on cover plate, you will have to start by finding a manufacturer that uses those.

When I asked for a wire from the ceiling fan the electrician suggested we just use a wireless switch to save money).
I would ask that electrician to install that switch. Or run the proper cable. Either way.