panel update

Old 07-07-13, 03:17 PM
panel update

I have a late 70s crouse hinds 200 amp panel that I have updated some along w 4 new circuits .I will be getting inspection soon an wanted to know of any thing I may need to look at before inspected.the large wire in bottom middle will be capped off as some others are.
Any info is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-13, 03:19 PM
Did you intend to include a picture?

Old 07-07-13, 03:23 PM
Yes..loading it shortly....

Attached Images  

Last edited by trotter; 07-07-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 04:52 PM
Point the tips of all wire nuts up. Mark the neutral feed with white tape. If you have any slack in your feeders, use it to arch them up and further away from your main breaker.

Hard to tell much more from your picture.

Old 07-07-13, 06:19 PM
i will try and get some better pics mon.is this the bonding screw there beside the incoming main neutral there to the left ? i know many of the older panels didnt use the green ones.

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-13, 06:36 PM
I have a late 70s crouse hinds 200 amp panel that I have updated some along w 4 new circuits
What did you do to update the panel?

is this the bonding screw there beside the incoming main neutral there to the left ?
I don't think so. The bonding screw typically would be inserted through a larger hole in the neutral bus and be threaded into a tapped hole in the panel box, usually somewhere along the length of the neutral bar.

Old 07-08-13, 06:02 PM
I did away with the few old style breakers on bottom ,with side hooks ,and put new semens in and discontinued one of the circuits ..and changed the old circuits that had red tandoms out to regular singles.also removed several circuits that were to the no longer installed electric baseboard heaters.will send pick on removed ones

Old 07-08-13, 06:06 PM
Here is old style from bottom,now removed ..and old tandoms.

Attached Images    

Last edited by trotter; 07-08-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 06:41 PM
Technically if it is a Crouse-Hinds panel then Siemens breakers are not allowed. Your inspector may or may not catch that or even care. Murray breakers are the same thing but are the listed for your panel. On the cover it should say type "MP-T" is allowed which is the standard Crouse-Hinds/Murray breaker.

Old 07-08-13, 07:28 PM
This had both .the Ac and dryer lights bath dish etc all have seimans type ..no side hook style

Attached Images   

Last edited by trotter; 07-08-13 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-09-13, 07:07 AM
Technically if it is a Crouse-Hinds panel then Siemens breakers are not allowed. Your inspector may or may not catch that or even care. Murray breakers are the same thing but are the listed for your panel. On the cover it should say type "MP-T" is allowed which is the standard Crouse-Hinds/Murray breaker.
I believe Astuff is correct on this. In addition, the Bryant breakers with the red handles are U.L. Listed for a Crouse-Hinds panel and could have remained.

For your future reference, the type main breaker you have has had many failures, I've seen numerous bad ones. That particular type main breaker plugs onto the aluminum bus and tends to burn up at the aluminum stabs. If this happens in the future, you'll need to replace the panel.

Old 07-09-13, 08:21 AM
The majority crouse hinds original breakers do not have the side bars on them .why did these 3 at bottom of box have them ?. I replaced side slotted ones with original non side slotted already with panel .I have several that were removed..

Old 07-09-13, 08:44 AM
And yes,in earlier pic on bonding screw that is the bonding screw..#10 silver..panel chart showed

Old 07-09-13, 09:23 AM
Those with side stab clips were Crouse-Hinds half size. They made right and left handed ones so that you could mix and match 15, 20, and 30 amp versions. I see from the catalog (but never saw one in person) that they also had two pole 240v up to 50amp that needed extra halves on either side.

Old Crouse-Hinds catalog from 1982 - Gexpro Catalogs

Old 07-09-13, 03:25 PM
The majority crouse hinds original breakers do not have the side bars on them .why did these 3 at bottom of box have them ?.
The Crouse-Hinds thin style breakers were not terribly successful; no one makes these any more. The Bryant single pole tandem breakers, like the ones with the red handles, were much more reliable. That same tandem breaker is available today under the Cutler-Hammer BR series, but with black handles instead of red.

Old 07-10-13, 10:47 PM
I noticed on panel it also takes bryant..are they available still? Or bought out?
There was a murry breaker in it also.

Old 07-11-13, 03:11 PM
I noticed on panel it also takes bryant..are they available still? Or bought out?
The Bryant single pole tandem breakers, like the ones with the red handles, were much more reliable. That same tandem breaker is available today under the Cutler-Hammer BR series, but with black handles instead of red.
Bryant eventually became part of the Eaton/Cutler-Hammer family. The Cutler-Hammer Type BR breaker is pretty much identical to the old Bryant breakers, but with black handles. Even the BR series catalog numbering system is the same as Bryant's.

Old 07-11-13, 09:08 PM
So i should use cutler hammer breakers then,not Murray since panel says also can use bryant?

Old 07-12-13, 06:13 AM
So i should use cutler hammer breakers then,not Murray since panel says also can use bryant?
My opinion is that either would be acceptable. Read post #9 again from Astuff.

Old 07-12-13, 10:41 AM
Thanks.
I saw on cutler hammer box in supply store it will replace bryant so thats what ill change them out to since panel sticker said also bryant.,
If one of the older type breakets I no longer used,nor have anything in its place ,the ones w side clips,left a arc mark what is best thing to do before inspected ?

Old 07-12-13, 04:04 PM
If one of the older type breakets I no longer used,nor have anything in its place ,the ones w side clips,left a arc mark what is best thing to do before inspected ?
Two options. You can either install a panel blank plate to close the opening in the cover OR install a breaker in that spot to fill the opening in the cover except don't connect a circuit to it. The bus is tin plated aluminum and it is damaged by the arc. I wouldn't advise putting a load on that space. That was an economy panel when it was new and it is how old now? 30 years old or maybe 40 years old? Wouldn't hurt to start putting back a few $$ when you can for an eventual replacement.

Old 07-13-13, 09:10 PM
Is there anything else I may need to do to panel before inspection.it has CH in it now with 2 spares at bottom ,capped unused circuits facing up and unused large capped wiring at bottom.

Attached Images       

Last edited by trotter; 07-13-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 06:31 AM
It looks OK to me. Do you have an updated panel schedule inside the door? Some inspectors want to see one and it is in the NEC although I'd have to search for it.

Old 07-14-13, 12:50 PM
I'm going to chart one then laminate an place in door..