GFCI Shutoff Breaker not testing

Old 07-08-13, 06:39 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI Shutoff Breaker not testing

I just reinstalled the hot tub and shut off in a new location after we got a new patio poured. The shut off is fed by a 50 amp breaker in the main (sub) service panel. The wires between the service and the shut off are the same as I was using before and the wires between the spa and the shut off are new. All 6 awg THHN. After the install everything tested and powered up correctly (to the best of my knowledge anyway). When I tried the yellow "test" button on the GFCI in the shut off box, I heard buzzing and it seemed to only partially trip. I reset it and everything worked. I tried the "test" button again and now nothing happens. Everything worked and the GFCI "test" worked fine in the old location. Did the GFCI die? If so, any idea why? Here are some pictures of the wiring in the shut off...maybe I reconnected incorrectly?

Name:  spa_gfci_1.jpg
Views: 26663
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  spa_gfci_2.jpg
Views: 3569
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  spa_gfci_3.jpg
Views: 12253
Size:  38.9 KB

Old 07-08-13, 09:05 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Here are some pictures of the wiring in the shut off...maybe I reconnected incorrectly?
Possibly. I can't see the labeling as clearly as I'd like in your pictures, but it appears that it shows the neutral in the middle and a hot on each side for the load connections, so that looks right.

Two thing I might try are 1> disconnecting the load wires and seeing if the GFCI will test and reset without the load, and 2> relocating the feed neutral to the lug at the top of the neutral bar. IDK why, it's just a "what if" guess.

On a side note, you need to replace the two "push penny" KO seals with weatherproof seals.

Old 07-08-13, 03:57 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Turns out it was a bad GFCI. Don't want to replace those very often ouch $$! I got the waterproof knockout seals as well. Thanks for pointing that one out.

Old 07-08-13, 04:12 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for telling us the outcome.

Sorry 'bout the "ouch $$!"

Old 07-09-13, 06:41 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Turns out it was a bad GFCI. Don't want to replace those very often ouch $$!
I know it's too late now, but maybe another forum reader can learn from this. It's usually less expensive to buy a complete new spa panel with GFCI breaker factory installed than just buying a replacement GFCI breaker.

Old 07-09-13, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I believe those Square D GFCI breakers have a lifetime warranty. You should be able to take it to a supply house that stocks Square D and get a new one for free.

Old 07-10-13, 05:45 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I believe those Square D GFCI breakers have a lifetime warranty. You should be able to take it to a supply house that stocks Square D and get a new one for free.
Good point, I believe all Square D QO series breakers are still lifetime warranted. Not sure about Homeline series breakers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: