Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need a good "How To" book that'll walk me through wiring my house.

Old 07-08-13, 11:34 PM

Before you all start screaming at me and calling me nasty names for trying to do something incredibly stupid, please read my entire message.

What I want to do is add some 4 outlet boxes in the basement so I can put my home office there. I know enough to know that I don't know anything (does that make any sense?), so I'm looking for a publication that will hold my hand and take me from start to finish, asking me lots of questions so I can make sure I'm using the right materials (wire gauge, etc), and showing me lots of pics so that I'll know I'm doing everything right.

At the end of MY part of this project, all the conduit, wiring, and plugs will be installed and connected. All that the licensed Electrician will have to do is inspect my work (I'm going to tell him up front that it's all my work) and, if I did it all correctly and it's safe, all he'll have to do is connect it to the breaker box and flip a breaker. That way, I figure to save a big chunk of money and still have a wiring job that's done right. Plus, maybe I'll learn a few things along the way.

So, as I said, I need a publication that'll tell me everything I need to know to do this job, and that has lots of pics.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks lots!

Paul Carter

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-13, 11:58 PM
"Wiring Simplified" Available at most home stores and Amazon.

Old 07-09-13, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I second Justin's advice! I have an older version of that book and it's very helpful anytime I need my memory refreshed or doing something electrical that I haven't done before.

Old 07-09-13, 04:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many electricians will not want to risk their license and insurance connecting work they did not do. Some will charge more than if they did the work themselves because of the need to check everything vs knowing it was done by themselves or their crew.

Old 07-09-13, 05:45 AM
I got Wiring Simplified and Electrical Wiring Residential. EWR is a textbook and I found it easier to read, dare I say more fun, but it is expensive. Since you're not doing a large project, check to see if your library system might have an older copy.

Also I printed my state code and local code and found them helpful, since they have a number of changes from the NEC, which is the basis for the books.

Old 07-09-13, 05:54 AM
Wiring Basement

Wiring Simplified is my favorite.

Is your basement finished or unfinished?

Old 07-09-13, 07:30 AM
At the end of MY part of this project, all the conduit, wiring, and plugs will be installed and connected. All that the licensed Electrician will have to do is inspect my work
You are in Illinois. If you are anywhere near Chicago, the best first step would be to find out if you are even allowed to do your own electrical work. A good second step would be to research the local code amendments. Most of the Chicago area requires all conduit and doesn't even allow metal clad or armored cables. Wiring Simplified will not cover Chicago codes. I am echoing pcboss on this, many licensed electricians will not want to assume liability for someone elses work. If you are allowed to do your own work and can take out the proper permits yourself, I'd find a licensed electrician who is willing to do the inspection and finish work for you BEFORE starting.

The more I think about it, if you are near Chicago and all conduit is required, I don't think you'll find a licensed electrician to sign off on a beginners conduit work. In addition to the electrician's liability, he also has his workmanship and reputation at stake.

Old 07-09-13, 10:33 AM
Thanks for all the info!

Well...I guess I got some good news and some bad news, huh?

To respond to CasualJoe, I'm right in the city itself. Specifically, I'm in the Logan Square neighborhood.

I already purchased a copy of "Wiring Simplified" (2011 code basis) on Amazon, and it's on its way. I admit that having a licensed electrician not wanting to sign off on my work and connect it to the mains never entered my mind, but now that you mentioned it, it makes perfect sense. Losing his license would be the least of his worries if there's an injury / death caused by the wiring that someone else did but he signed off on. I have a friend who wired this house for us (it was a rehab) and who also does rehabs for Habitat for Humanity; I guess I'll try to get him to take a look-see and give me his opinion on my work before I "go hot".

Thanks to everyone for their input & suggestions!

Paul

Old 07-10-13, 05:47 PM
I have a friend who wired this house for us (it was a rehab) and who also does rehabs for Habitat for Humanity; I guess I'll try to get him to take a look-see and give me his opinion on my work before I "go hot".
That's a good idea. if your friend is a licensed Master Electrician in Cook County, and if he's willing to pull the permit and stand the inspection.

As a side note, running conduit is one of my specialties, and I've done some work near you. I probably ruined a few hundred feet of pipe while learning the skill. It isn't acquired intuitively, and running it through framiong is especially challenging.