Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

3-way switches. How to have them both on when the lights are on?

Old 07-09-13, 05:18 AM

Is there a way to have a 3-way switch automatically change its position from on to off?

I have two 3-way switches on two ends of a kitchen. One end of the kitchen is attached to the garage, and there is one switch there. Another end of the kitchen is connected to the living room, and there is another switch there. I don't like how when I come into the kitchen and turn on the lights by switching one of the switches on, the other switch is in the off position.

Is there some way that when I turn on the lights, BOTH switches change to the on position? And I'd like to have both switches off when the lights are off.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-13, 05:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Three way switches are not labeled On-Off. I understand what you are asking for but you will not find it.

Old 07-10-13, 05:31 PM
Is there some way that when I turn on the lights, BOTH switches change to the on position?
No.

And I'd like to have both switches off when the lights are off.
It sounds like that's what you have now. There are two choices with a pair of 3-way switches: Together On or Together Off. Which would you rather have?

Professionals wire them for Together Off, since it more often works out that you'll find a switch that needs to be flipped upward to turn the lights on if they're wired that way.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 07-10-13 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-10-13, 05:43 PM
You do have two options, but neither are that good.

You can turn the switches sideways so that there is no longer what feels like "on/off"
I believe that some digital dimmer switches that do not really have an on or off