Dimmer electrical wiring

Old 07-10-13, 09:35 AM
Dimmer electrical wiring

Im trying to wire a dimmer switch into an extension cord. The extension cord only has 2 wires. I left the white go and cut the hot and put it on each side of the dimmer. I get light when i switch it but no dimmer. the extension is going into christmas lights

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-13, 11:42 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know what christmas lights are these days but if they are fluorescent lights, you won't have a dimmer.

Old 07-10-13, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the forums, Jordan.

Im trying to wire a dimmer switch into an extension cord.
Connecting a dimmer, or any other control designed to be mounted in an enclosed box, by cutting into one of the two conductors in an extension cord is a violation of code and voids the UL listing on both the cord and the control device.

If you tell us your goal we will be better able to help you find a code-compliant, and safe, way to accomplish it.

Old 07-12-13, 06:02 PM
I will put the cord into a box, thats not my concern. I'm more than safe when it comes to electrical work. my question is, how do I hook up some christmas lights to a dimmer. It seems like you cant put a dimmer on an outlet... I'm just trying to find out if you guys had any idea that could work.

Old 07-12-13, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
You can use a dimming receptacle. http://files.lutron.com/hwi/TRG/366-...eceptacles.pdf